Norwegian Star Cruise Review by DeWSkog: The Suite Life

The Suite Life

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We live 50 miles from Seattle. We were dropped off at the dock around 1pm. We were traveling with my Husband's Dad, Step-Mother and Step-Brother. This was our first trip to Alaska.

We did a Meet and Greet with Cruise Critic members. We met a lot of the staff at the Meet and Greet.

Since we we in a suite we went to the VIP line and were immediately treated to the Suite life. Now we are extremely spoiled and can not consider a non-suite for the future. Our suite was just under the bridge facing forward. A great way to see Alaska. We were treated very well by all the employees.

On Saturday we were one of the chosen for the Newlywed not so Newlywed Game in the lounge. What a hoot! We became instant celebs and people stopped us all week telling us how much them enjoyed us. Ray, the Cruise Director gave us a video copy of the show.

I had a couple of bad experiences. Not caused by NCL or their employees but other people. It is amazing to me how rude More some people can be. I believe some people think that they can be rude because there is not chance they will

ever see you again. I know I shouldn't let 3 rude people out weigh all the other wonderful people.

The Alaskan air, scenery, excursions were great. We didn't see many animals. Just a pod of dolphins, a seal and a couple of eagles in the distance.

Some of the meals could have been improved on. Some items were overcooked in my opinion. Dry omelets, yuck.

On our last day we had gale force winds and my stomach did not handle the rocking well. We would still do the trip again. Perhaps earlier in the year.

We didn't get to go all the way into see the Glacier. It looks like it was because of a large amount of icebergs just before the last turn. What we did see was wonderful. We didn't miss a thing from our front row seat.

Last but not least, we signed up for NCL's deal for a future cruise. $250 down payment on a cruise in the next 4 years that gives you a $100 cruise credit on the current cruise. So just off the boat I am planning my next cruise! Dreaming again! Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 10000

NCL Star's AC 10000 was perfect for the Alaskan Cruise. Well worth the expense. Room was amble, bed comfortable, and deck was wonderful. Bathroom wasn't much. We had a better Bathroom on the Pride of America with a lower class suite. Closet worked but you couldn't have it open and then open the bathroom door. The coffee maker was fancy but the choices of coffee didn't quite fit our choices. The coffee at Cagney's in the morning was better. The location was wonderful for 6 out of the 7 days. We were too high for the day of rocking. Next time we'd like to try a suite in the Aft to compare to this trip.

In Juneau, we took a tram up to the top of Mt. Roberts. It was just the right excursion when you have two 80 year olds in tow. The air was so fresh. Love the pictures that we took.

I was surprised at how small the town was. I expected a State capital to be a bit bigger.

The shops were a lot like Ketchikan's. We asked a local where we could get a good cup of coffee and were directed to Heritage Coffee house. We liked it very much. They also had gelato!

Read 838 Juneau Reviews

In Ketchikan we did Adventure Zip-Line. We had a great time, not only Zip-Lining but also some obstacle courses. They even had a climbing tower. The other passengers with us were fun.

We did a little shopping in town.

The day was beautiful and we have wonderful pictures to prove it.

Prince Rupert was our last stop and arrived late in the afternoon. We had a dinner date at Cagney's with one of the couples of our Cruise Critic group. Was like a double date and we had lots of fun. I picked the brains of the more experienced cruisers.

Because of the the late arrival and the early dinner date (7PM) we chose not to get off the ship in Prince Rupert. Our 80 year olds got off the ship and they told us that it was all lot like the other towns.

In Skagway we took the Skagway tour bus. Another choice because of being with 80 year olds. Loved our tour guide. We learned alot about the town. It was worth it but was wishing we could have taken the train ride.

Shops again were the same as the last two ports.

Read 644 Skagway Reviews