Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by nicknack43: No bowing before the Queen

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Canada & New England Cruises

No bowing before the Queen

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Our cruise was a Labor Day Getaway from Brooklyn, NY with one stop at St. John, NB in Canada. I would rate the cruise overall as above average. First the positives (and there were many). -The boarding process was pleasant with no waiting and a pleasant staff. We did however arrive early due to limited parking spaces. Our stateroom was ready when we boarded so we dropped off our "gear" and began exploring the ship. Our stateroom was on the 6th deck aft with what they call a sheltered balcony. This means that it is enclosed to protect from the high winds on transatlantic crossings. It was fine with us. The room itself was well appointed with an average size bathroom.

-The public rooms were also well appointed and decorated nicely. They had a comfortable decor about them. Lots of wood versus the cruise ship brass and chrome. The lounges were also nice with our favorite being the Commodore lounge on the 12th deck. It was the quietest with the best service. The others were okay but More noisier and just off indoor promenades.

-The entertainment was okay with the standard comedian and Las Vegas-type shows. My wife likes them; I can pass. One very nice feature was in the Queens Room where they had a dance band with ballroom-type dancing.

-Dining and this is where it gets negative. The service in the Britannia Restaurant was atrocious. The first night we waited 1/2 hour to get a menu. The staff appeared to be confused. They need more help. The assistant waiter schlepped food from the kitchen while the waiter had to serve and bus tables. It made for a inefficient way to serve people. The food was surprisingly bland and the selections were very limited. My wife has better presentations of our home dinners than this restaurant. We were very disappointed in the food and service. However, in the evening they section off the King's Court into separate restaurants (no extra charge). We tried the Italian, La Piazza, one night and the food and service were EXCELLENT.

My wife attributes the restaurant chaos to the special getaway cruise versus a crossing. To me that's bunk. Overall we likes the ship and other than the restaurant the staff was very courteous and pleasant. One must be aware however that this is an ocean liner, not a cruise ship. The atmosphere is a little more sedate. I forgot, the planetarium was spectacular. Don't pass it up. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Premium Balcony - Sheltered Deck 6 6294

Have no complaints about the cabin