Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by slick's still cruzin: Wonderful Quick Getaway

Wonderful Quick Getaway

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: New Orleans

My mother and I booked this as a pack and go, which meant the great price of $199 each and only about a month before we left. I am from north Louisiana, so we made the 6 hour drive the day before and stayed at the Clarion Grand Boutique in the Garden District, which was very nice.

We arrived at the pier about 10:00 Monday morning and we were sitting on the Lido deck eating lunch by noon. We carried all of our luggage, so there was no reason to keep going back and forth to your room to see if your luggage had arrived. We were in our room by 1:30 and set off exploring. The ship was very easy to get around.

We had main dining in the Celebration Dining Room at a table for 10 people. There were 6 women and 4 men from all over the United States, which made for an interesting and fun dinner. I made 4 of the 5 nights, and yes, I had the warm chocolate melting cake each night. It was sooooo good!!!! One of the guys from New York loved lobster and he had 4 on the formal More night, which was the second night of the cruise. Nobody cares if you order more than one entree or dessert. (Wish I could of had room for 2 of the chocolate cakes each night!!!) I got a piece of carrot cake at the Bistro for $2.25, and it was so huge that I could only eat half of it. I had to put the other half up to eat later. My mother got the strawberry cheesecake and she said that it was wonderful also.

The weather was great and the staff was very friendly. I went to several of the shows and enjoyed them. I still don't understand why Carnival has to charge almost $6 for one beer. The frozen drinks were about $8, which is not so bad, but I can buy a case of beer for no more than $20. The beer on the islands were anywhere for $1 - $2, which was much better.

We did the self assist debarkation. Our deck was called a little before 8:00 on Saturday morning and were were sitting in the car by 8:45. No trouble at all.

The Fantasy is a great ship and I look forward to cruising on one of the 7 days cruises when she is moved to Mobile. I would surely recommend the Fantasy to everyone. Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fantasy 5

We were at the very front of the ship. Only problem was that the anchors were noisy starting about 4:30 in the morning.

Was so nice to be able to walk off the ship and not have to tender. We took a $7 taxi to downtown. Walked around for a few hours and purchased a lovely tanzanite necklace. Took the taxi back to the pier and went back on the ship for lunch and to leave our purchases. We back on the island and shopped for a couple of more hours in the shops at the pier. These shops are more expensive than in downtown. Stopped at Fat Tuesdays for drinks and to listen to the music. Had another good day, but did more shopping so it was not a relaxing as Progreso.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

Took the free shuttle to town. Shopped in the the market place and picked up a couple of things. Walked to the beach and had a massage right on the beach. (Be sure and wear your swimsuit or you will have to remove your shirt and wear only your bra.) $10 for 35 minutes and it felt heavenly!!! Walked along the beach and bought a beer along the way. Stopped for a little lunch on at a little place on the beach. Had a couple more beers and chips & salsa. Very relaxing. Several people did try to sell us things, but all we had to say was no and they left us alone. Cheaper shopping here than in Cozumel. Took the free shuttle back to the ship. Was a very good day.

Read 284 Progreso Reviews