Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by Houston-cruise-lover: Alaska in Septemeber

Alaska in Septemeber

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Let me start by saying embarkation was simple and easy. We had everything signed and out before we got in line; which made things go easier and faster. It took 30 minutes from the time we entered the line until we entered our cabin; which was a partially obstructed ocean view mid deck; perfect location so as to minimize the motion from any rough seas. We had about 12 hours of rough seas on day 4.

Of all the lines I have cruised so far, Princess is now my favorite. The food and "dedicated" service well exceeded our expectations. We chose the anytime dining option. You can make reservations for 3 days in advance; which I suggest. We encountered people without having reservations having to wait for seating and/or share tables. We always were seated immediately and at a table for 2. The service was very good but not excellent; until we found the Savoy and Miheala. We went there and sat in her section for the last 5 nights of the cruise.

The entertainment was good and More varied. Something for everyone every night at one of the many different venues and lounges. Ranging from great production shows in the theater to comedians and music groups in the Explorer Lounge to string quartets in the Atrium.

One thing I liked on the Sapphire Princess is that they were not always snapping your picture or pushing drinks. Other than the formal nights; our only other pictures were on embarkation and at Ketchikan.

Another thing I liked was that Princess offered a few casual GLBT get togethers in the evenings. It was nice to meet other GLBT people without being on a mainstream cruise.

Alaska weather is always wet/rainy. We were fortunate for the first 4 days in that the showers were in the early morning and the time in port was either overcast or partly sunny. It showered in Skagway and we had rough seas between Glacier Bay and Prince William Sound with swells up to 20'. I found it to be an interesting adventure as I do not suffer from motion sickness.

There are many activities to choose from during the days at sea; from wine tastings to art auctions to dance classes to doing absolutely nothing.

Although disembarkation went smoothly, once you were off the ship, it was like you were cut loose to fend for yourself. We made independent arrangements to take the Alaska Railroad train from Whittier through Grandview to Anchorage. There was no comfortable place to sit and wait while in the Whittier Terminal except hard folding chairs which staff kept trying to take and put away. We were not the only people waiting for the train.

Overall, I loved the cruise and Alaska. This was my second Alaska cruise and we would go back again; when the opportunity presents itself. Less

Read more Sapphire Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sapphire Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sapphire Princess Oceanview Obstructed Emerald E503

Small cabin at 160 sq feet but well laid out. It had a large closet; with an armoire for folded clothes as well as a safe for valuables. great use of floor plan

State capitol which, according to our native guide, was slowly moving to Anchorage. We loved seeing Mendenhall Glacier. A little know must see is St. Nickolas Russian Orthodox Church. It was built in 1893 in Siberia and then moved to Juneau. Original sanctuary and original Russian icons.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Ketchikan is a great little town. The totem poles at Totem Bight Park are fascinating. The town had 4 ships in port when we were there and it got a little wild in the afternoon with all of the crowds. Overall no issues.

You can't throw a stone without hitting a jewelry shop in Skagway. White Pass Summit is not to be missed; whether by train or by coach

Read 645 Skagway Reviews