Sea Princess Cruise Review by calafia

Cruise Date: August 2009
Embarkation: San Francisco
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Number: B306
See More About: Sea Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Sea Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Sea Princess Deck Plans
Accessibility: what does it mean?
My husband and I and my parents booked this cruise on the Sea Princess because it sailed round trip from San Francisco to Alaska (flying is not an option), and because cruising seemed like a good opportunity for our first vacation since my husband has been in an electric wheelchair. We thought we had done our research, but we would never have gone, at least not on this ship, if we had known how excruciatingly difficult just moving about the ship would be. If a person can walk just a step or two, they can manage, but if they can't...Our room was big enough, but nothing to hang onto to transfer to the low, split/mattress bed. No shower either, because of lack of grab bar in a good place. Every transition between public spaces or inside/outside had a very high threshhold which almost jarred him out of his seat. Crowded buffet was impossible. Entertainment seating was back of house only. Hallways had people's scooters parked every which way, had to backtrack. Elevator after elevator too full to get on. Most disappointing of all, two of the 4 ports of call were "tender" (lifeboat) only. So no wildlife or tours for him. The cabin steward made every effort to improve the conditions in the room, adding mattresses to the bed, and even repairing his wheelchair arm with duct tape after too many close squeezes, and the waitstaff was very good. But I must agree with some other reviewers, the ship was past it. Casino a smoky dump. Food not very good. How can I get more and better information, in case we try to travel again? I have always so loved to travel, and never had a bad experience.

Publication Date: 09/17/09
Read the Alaska ports review by calafia
More Sea Princess Cruise Reviews