Carnival Legend Cruise Review by AGross: Great first time for Cruising virgins!!

AGross
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Great first time for Cruising virgins!!

Sail Date: September 2009
Embarkation: Tampa

Embarkation: We flew down from NC and stayed with some friends in Tampa. They dropped us off at the port and the embarkation process was fast and painless. Note: YOU NEED YOUR PASSPORT!! Even if the website says it's not neccessary for "closed-loop" cruises, you still need it to verify your citizenship when you leave the ship at the end of the week.

Cabin: We selected an interior room on Deck 7. This is the best deck b/c you aren't far from the pools and action on the Lido deck, but you have one floor above you to serve as a buffer for all the noise up there. Our room was more spacious than we expected--plenty of room for your clothes, shoes, etc. We didn't mind not having a window b/c our room was pitch black when we slept, which is great if you want to sleep in a little. Our room steward, Antonio, was fabulous. So kind and thorough--we didn't want for anything. I loved the towel animals every night.

Entertainment: It's okay. Some of the shows More are cheesy. My favorite singing and dancing show was the Big Easy show on Friday night. Otherwise, my husband and I both preferred the comedy and the hypnotist. There were always games, seminars, contests happening all over the boat. You could keep yourself busy every minute of the day, which is nice on days at sea. But, we had just as much fun relaxing by the pool, having drinks and using the waterslide. (Get to the pool by 10am if you want a decent spot.)

Cleanliness: I have to mention this because I was so impressed with it. That ship was so clean. Every time I turned around there was a crew member cleaning, hosing something off, restocking. They crew works so hard on this ship and probably don't receive half the recognition they should. Well done!

Food: My husband and I nicknamed the buffet on the Lido Deck "the Trough," because that's what it was. So many people piling their plates with food they'll never eat or shouldn't be eating. We only ate there for lunch on the day that we boarded the ship because nothing else was open, and it was so loud, crowded and repulsive to watch people shoveling enormous amounts of food down their throats, that we decided to take all our meals in the Truffles dining room for the rest of the cruise. So glad we did! The food was better and I LOVED the portion size. As a personal trainer, I know that most Americans eat about triple the portions that they should and that is why obesity is such a problem. In the Truffles dining room, they give you APPROPRIATE portion sizes, which is fine because you're probably eating more frequently on the cruise than you do at home anyway, and you can order seconds if you're still hungry. Most of the time, the portions were just fine for me and my husband. Most of the meals were delicious--there were only a couple of things we ate that were okay. Our server, Iwayan, was a sweetheart, and I loved Shhhhhowtime--watching all the staff sing and dance. If you have the extra cash, you MUST MUST MUST eat in the Supper Club, the Golden Fleece, one night. The service is absolutely superb; it's quiet and romantic; and the food is out of this world. Easily one of the top ten meals I've ever had.

Gym/Spa: Gym was decent for a cruise ship, although it was hard to get the weights you want when a lot of people are in there working out. I only went to the spa to get my hair done because all the treatments were so overpriced. Here's a tip--if you can wait until the end of the cruise, they start marking stuff down big time and you can probably get a spa treatment for a better deal.

Crew: Like I said, this crew is so hard working that I cannot give them enough praise. What they do is even more amazing when you talk to them and find out that most of them stay on the boat for 7-9 straight months withouth seeing their families. Most of them don't even have time to leave the ship on port days because they have to be back to clean your room, serve you drinks or bring you dinner. And then you leave the ship and they have to put a smile on their faces and do it all over again for a shipful of new passengers. Incredible!

Drinks: Awesome! I thought maybe the bartenders would skimp on the alcohol, but every drink I had was loaded. The signature cocktails and drinks of the day were fun because at home I pretty much only drink wine or beer--it was nice to taste some fruity, tropical drinks. The best deal on drinks was on the last full day of the cruise--there was a margarita special where you could get flavored margaritas for $3.95!! And they use real, pureed fruit--no syrups!! I found out about the special a little too late so I only got one, too bad. And as much as people were drinking, I was pleasantly surprised that I only saw one drunk person on the entire cruise. It was nice to see people enjoying themselves withouth acting like idiots.

Debarkation: It went a lot faster than we thought it would. They get you through pretty quickly and just glance at your customs form. No big deal.

Overall, we had an awesome time. We're both tired of seeing food and were ready to sleep in our own bed again, but we'll definitely cruise again at some point. Carnival was better than I thought it would be. One more thing, if you don't have kids and you don't really want to be around kids, go in September when school has begun. We saw kids on the ship but they didn't bother us and I think the crew has a lot of great programs to entertain them.

Thanks Carnival! Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Belize--my favorite day. Belize city is a dump, but if you book an excurion outside the city you'll have a blast. The people are very nice and accomodating. We did the cave-tubing tour with X-Stream and it was AWESOME. Nickolai led us on a 45 minute hike through the rainforest where he pointed out all kinds of fruits and trees and wildlife. The river was cool and refreshing after the hot hike and I enjoyed jumping in to the water and being pulled along by the current. If your guide will let you, do the rope swing at the end--so fun! The tour included fresh fruit, water, juice, and lunch at the end. We felt totally safe and just had a blast that day.

Cozumel--we had a lot of fun here. It wasn't the most picturesque place, but it was vibrant, easy to get around and my husband and I love the Mexican people. He felt like he was at home because he lived in Mexico for about six months in college and has always wanted to go back. Great food, great beer, GREAT tequila! We went snorkeling with Cozumel tours and it was just okay. I wish they would have taken us farther out. If you want to go snorkeling in Cozumel, book with Mystic tours. I heard that was an exceptional tour and I wish we would have booked with them.
Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

Grand Cayman--we thought it sucked, but that's probably because we didn't book an excursion and just toured the island on a rented scooter. Not much to see. It's overrated, not as pretty as I thought it would be and so Americanized. I heard a lot of people enjoyed the Stingray City experience.

Roatan--Easily the most gorgeous port. It's like paradise--lush, tropical, hilly with panoramic views of the ocean and the coral reef. Get a tour that will take you away from the port so you can get a good look at the island. We bought a package at the port for $20/person that took us to a resort where we used their private beach and rode a waverunner. The water was blue and beautiful, it was quiet, but beware, the sandflies will bite the crap out of you so bring bug spray. The bites don't itch but they're annoying.
Read 1642 Roatan Reviews