Silver Shadow Cruise Review by ross9358: Above my pay grade

Above my pay grade

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

We can sum up our Silversea experience in two words: totally disappointing. Silversea started us off on the wrong foot at the start when they stated early boarding carried a $100 each "fee". As we had shelled out $19,000USD for a "Grand Suite" accomodation, we felt this additional charge was way over the top. Having had a stroke and not looking forward to a further delay in boarding, we complained to their Fort Lauderdale HQ. After a few calls, their office waived this "fee", adding that if we were members of their "Venetian Society" this waving was one of their "perks". So much for an "even playing field". We learned later that this fee was to discourage an "early luncheon" with accompanying wine and/or spirits.

Our stateroom 701 was incredibly large and comfortable; Silversea was going on a roll! The closet was very large, with ample space for shoes, slippers etc. The bedroom was bright and roomy with a well lit vanity. It sported large screen TV. An ample, but not More large balcony with two tables and four chairs completed the area. Two bathrooms, the main with double basins (one with a crack) a fully jetted tub and a smallish shower completed the room. The stateroom was the largest I have ever seen on a cruse ship. We have always chosen S class, and Owners suites, not to brag but due to my limited mobility. Comfortable arm chairs and a chaise-lounge along with a well equipped stand up bar completed the suite.

The dining experience was just that.Unless you read the daily instructions, you could easily be too early or too late for lunch. The menu was out of the wild imagination of the chef. Example: Carpaccio served with fresh arugula, basil, celery walnuts and parmesan shavings (appetiser) sardinian clam soup with arugula and sun-dried tomatoes, grilled sea bass with smoked eel, celeriac cream infusion(entree) Five days into the cruise they offered salmon, chicken and a steak. My stomach had long started to act up by this time. We were told that several staterooms on our deck had the same problems with the richness of the food.

My partner, at breakfast, after mentioning to the maitre d' that our morning coffee did not arrive set the stage for a very embarrassing situation for us. We had no sooner started our meal when our butler was paraded to our table along with the Food and Beverage manager. He proceeded to demand an apology from the poor butler. I don't know who was more upset by this childish behavior by the manager, the butler or my table. Thank goodness the little room was nearly empty; we, the butler and I were totally embarrassed. The butler was on time after this. The first night out we were serenaded by two screaming children one deck below. The TV in the next stateroom was annoying. Silversea has a very loose attitude about smoking. They request there be no smoking on the balconies. The only time we didn't smell second hand smoke was when we were moving. Less

Read more Silver Shadow cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Silver Shadow Review >>

Cabin review: Silver Shadow Grand Suite Deck Six

Overall, we wanted to try Silversea. We will give it a pass and return to a friendlier cruise line. We found the crew and the passengers snooty and elitist,which begs the conclusion that the whole Silversea experience was "above my pay grade".