Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by cruiserjack1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by cruiserjack1
Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Infinity
Member Name: cruiserjack1
Cruise Date: August 2009
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

EMBARKATION: I am a 54 year-old man who cruised with a friend. This was my 30th cruise. We cabbed it to the pier and made onto the ship within minutes.

SHIP OVERALL: I had sailed on Infinity several years ago. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the Solstice, but this time around the ship seemed pleasant but not extraordinary. There are plenty of places for reading and lounging, and it is kept very clean.

CABIN: We had an outside cabin. It was fine, very similar to other cruises.

DINING: This was an area with mixed reviews. The Oceanview Cafe had an average buffet. The AquaSpa Cafe offered tasty, healthy alternatives. The main restaurant, Trellis, was a disappointment this sailing. I've always experienced high quality with Celebrity's dining, but found the meals here to be very average. More distressing, the service was both rushed and slow. Our waiter and assistant seemed stressed and hurried every night, yet the meals took nearly two hours from start to finish as we waited for courses. We even walked out without dessert twice to get to the shows. The tables were crowded. Our eight-top should have been set for six, but we were squeezed into it. Tables were also too close to teach other, so waiters had to push through chairs to get through. The specialty restaurant, The Unites States, was a highlight, with delicious food and excellent service. The harpist of my previous cruise had been replaced with recorded music. (Cost cutting?) It is well worth the $30 supplement charge per person. There is also a nice informal dinner alternative on Deck 10; part of the buffet area is marked off, tables set with linens, and waiter service provided. The food is simple, but features delicious fresh seafood.

ENTERTAINMENT: Celebrity continues to offer very good shows. I enjoyed the three big song-and-dance shows. There was a young illusionist from Denmark who was talented and engaging. The comedian was so-so. Various musical groups, including the a cappella group, were terrific.

FITNESS/SPA: I work out every day, so ship fitness centers are important to me. The Infinity has a good gym, with plenty of cardio equipment and weight stations. Celebrity seems to have done away with free classes, or aerobics, pushing the fee classes like spinning and yoga. There is a large sauna with a window in the men's and women's locker rooms. The Persian garden is an area with steam, aromatherapy and sauna, but costs $20 a day or $99 for the week. It didn't seem worth it. I had a great massage ($119 plus tip for 50 minutes), but there is no quiet waiting area as newer ships have. Instead you sit by the gym and wait to be taken to a treatment room.

PORTS: certainly the highlight was Hubbard glacier. The captain got us very close to the glacier nd we had a spectacularly clear day. Ketchikan: We just walked through town, and enjoyed watching salmon swimming by the hundreds up the creek. Juneau: I conquered my fear of heights with the zip-ling trip. This was a highlight for me, as we zipped through ten segments of cables, up to 180 feet above ground and travelling at speeds up to 40 MPH. It also included two suspension bridges and a chance to rappel. IT was thrilling beyond belief. Five stars for this one! Victoria: We sailed in around 2 PM on a beautiful day, so we had time to wander through town. MY friend took a tourist bus, and I rented a kayak. Loved it!

SUMMARY: While the Infinity didn't live up completely to the high standards I've come to expect from celebrity, the cruise was wonderful. I'm especially grateful that there is an absence of lots of announcements.

Publication Date: 09/16/09