Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by scranton33: Chilly Adventure in the Baltics
Member Since 2009
Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises
Chilly Adventure in the Baltics
This is my 10th cruise, but my first cruise with Norwegian (I have previously cruised with Princess, Holland America, and Royal Caribbean). Overall my friend and I greatly enjoyed ourselves (we are both in our twenties), but they were things that we would definitely recommend that the ship consider improving:
1. There is a $10 fee to exchange money - ouch! I would recommend going to an atm in each country to avoid the fee.
2. There were only 3 power outlets in our cabin, one in the bathroom, one under the TV and one by the vanity mirror. There is a bigger need for outlets now since people need to charge the batteries for their digital cameras and phones.
3. The same movies were showed every day on our cabin TV. On all of my previous cruises, there was a different selection of movies every 2 days.
4. There were not that many activities planned on the ship besides Wii and karaoke. In addition activities that used to be free such as having tour of More the galley now have a fee.
5. The ship ran out of mints halfway through the trip, which seems impossible to do b/c the ship runs this route all summer thus they should know how many mints to order per cruise.
6. The gym should put all of the TVs on mute b/c it is very annoying to be using a machine next to someone who has their TV blaring. On other cruise lines the only way you can get sound on the TV is by using headphones.
7. The ship docked far from the ports in St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm which was annoying b/c then we had to pay for transportation from the ship to the port.
8. The shows in the Theater were not that great, but we did greatly enjoy the circus show. Also, the comedian was terrible. Next time NCL should consider booking an American comedian instead of a British comedian since the majority of the passengers are American and have a different sense of humor than the British.
9. Check the weather before you go, b/c it rained and it was cold, thus I should have packed a warmer jacket.
10. There should be a sign up sheet for the Wii/Karaoke rooms b/c some people monopolized the rooms for multiple hours on the days at sea.
11. The desserts were pretty horrible, but I really liked the cookies and the frozen yogurt. The pretzel bread was amazing too.
12. The ship needs to improve their embarkation process. We used the NCL bus to get from the Heathrow to Dover. When we arrived at Dover we were told we couldn't check in for another hour. After we checked in, we weren't allowed on the boat for another hour and a half. When we finally got on at 12 noon, we were so exhausted that we wanted to go directly to our rooms to rest, but the cabins weren't available untill 2pm!
Pros: 1. The staff was very friendly. 2. The deck on 7 was very nice for walking since there was special material on the floor so you wouldn't slip. 3. The shower had a door instead of a curtain, which was a definite plus! 4. It was easy to get a table at dinner. Less
Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>