Carnival Legend Cruise Review by kmrnclrk: Best Itinerary

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Best Itinerary

Sail Date: August 2009
Embarkation: Tampa

Background Information: My wife and I (21/22) went on this cruise as our Honeymoon. I've cruised Royal Caribbean before with my parents, this was her first.

Travel To Port of Embarkation: We flew directly from Boston to Tampa, and had no trouble with our baggage or finding the CCL representative at the airport (half our flight seemed to be going on the Legend as well!) We waited at the airport for about 45 minutes before the bus came to get everyone. Some people didn't fit on the bus and got pretty angry and just took a cab instead of waiting again. We arrived at the port and gave our bags to the porters, and got in line. We stood in about 3 different lines before we were finally on board and having our first drink of the day. We proceeded up to the Lido deck to have lunch as did every other passenger on the ship. There were no tables and the lines at the buffet stations were long. All this was to be expected however, so we took it in stride and had a great rest of More the day.

Ship Info: The Carnival Legend is a great ship. Not too little, not too much. I'm not used to the small pools offered on this ship though and mid-day on a Sea Day you're literally rubbing toes with everyone else in the pool. We spent our time in the Unicorn Pool (adults only). As a side-note to that, it's not advertised that the aft pool area is adults only, but there were never any kids back there, other than a passing few or older teens keeping to themselves. The interior spaces were conveniently placed so you never felt too cramped. There were 10 different places to get a drink, so we never went empty handed.

Stateroom: We booked a balcany on Deck 5 and had no complaints. We knew the bathroom would be small but we still squeezed our showers together. Bed was as comfortable as to be expected and the balcany had just enough room. A friend we met had the extended balcany, which was good for entertaining. But if it was just for two, the regular balcany is a fine option.

Activities/Entertainment: We cannot say enough about the shows that were offered. We watched the adult comedy show, the "physical" comedy show (juggling), the newlywed game, and the two hypnotist shows (one for family, one R-rated). All shows were amazing. I wont say anymore for fear of spoiling some of them because you have to see them for yourself.

Dining: We never missed a night at the main dining room. We never did feel the need for the Supper Club. The food was amazing, and I ate my fair share. They never hesitated to bring our table 2 sometimes 3 appetizers each, or switch a meal that wasn't liked much. The lobster was excellent and I ate shrimp just about every night. Even the steak they offered as a back-up every night was amazing. We didn't care much for the desserts even though everyone swears by the chocolate melting cake (undercooked brownie with hot hershey's syrup). Our waiters learned of my wife's nut and shellfish allergy the first night and remembered for the rest of the week. The buffet was par at best. The burgers and hotdogs were good so I stuck to them. The sandwiches were also very good pannini style. The other foods that I could actually get to was your typical all you can eat buffet quality. More often than not however I could never get to the food since I'm impatient and hate standing in lines. The one secret I will pass on is the Sushi Bar located just through the Casino on Deck 2. Made it for the last 5 nights before dinner. Great sushi.

Service: The service was just what you would expect from a cruise ship. Prompt room service, fun waitstaff, and the bar staff definatly works hard for their money! My tip is make friends with a server your first day, and always go to him. We saw "our" server just about everywhere on the ship and he would always come take our orders first and even throw in an extra drink here and there.

Port & Shore Excursions: We didn't get off in Grand Caymen, we went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel (rain), we did the Altun Ha and River Wallace in Belize, and went to Tabyana Beach in Roatan. Paradise Beach would have been fun if it didn't rain. $13 taxi for the two of us and $10 to play on all the water toys (trampoline, iceberg, slide, kayak, ect.) Belize was great sight-seeing but it's a one time only thing. I'd go out to the reef if I go again. We were originally planning to go to the park to see the birds and monkeys in Roatan but the park was closed due to bees, so they offered to take us to Tabyana instead. Tabyana is a beautiful sandy beach and had sparkling clear water and some pretty good snorkling. We found out later that we went there for free because our money was refunded for not going to the park. Roatan is definatly on my "to-see-again" list.

Disembarkation: Simple. Easy. Took our own stuff down the stairs at 7:45 and were off the ship by 8:00.

Summary/Drawbacks: The only hiccup we had on our vacation was the spa. We did not get off in Grand Caymen so we could get a "Port Day Special" at the spa. $135 for a 25 minute couples massage. After the massage was over, they charged me over $300 because we were had already left port. We did get the money refunded because it never specifically stated you had to be in port or the times that the special ran, but it took a couple trips to guest services. Just be wary of "specials" they offer you. And everyone who has been on this ship knows this final bit of advice - Bring some ear plugs to block out the cruise directors voice! She was a sweet lady but really really annoying. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Upper 5204

Great for the money. Balcany big enough for two, but not more. Located right near the atrium elevators but we never heard a peep.

My wife and I went on the Altun Ha Mayan Ruins & River Wallace excursion through CCL. We did the ruins first and then the river. The ruins were amazing sight-seeing but our guides were a little pushy so we couldn't explore the ruins on our own. The bugs were horrible at the ruins so bring some spray! The ride down the river after the ruins was great. We saw monkeys, crocodiles, turtles, bats, birds and iguanas. Once we got back to the port it started down-pouring so we didn't get to explore.

My wife and I got off the ship and took a $13 taxi ride to Paradise Beach. The chairs at the beach are free (as long as you purchase some food/drink). We both purchased the $10 wrist band that let us play with all the toys. They had 3 trampolines, a waterslide, iceberg, kayaks and snorkeling gear. Don't bother snorkling here, there is nothing down there. They beach is a man made beach so its kind of rocky and the sand is a little weird. It rained while we were there so our day got cut short. It dried up and the sun was blaring by the time we made it back to the port. The shopping was the same stores as any other port. We never made it to Fat Tues. but I heard it was a good time, and as we walked by we could definatly tell it was.
Read 3083 Cozumel Reviews

(5.5)
My wife and I went to Tabyana beach and fell in love. The ride out there was long and over a big mountain but we made it. Snorkle equipment was $8 for two hours. The water was clear blue and the sand was powder white. The snorkling was amazing for the $8 you pay, my tip is to go way off to the left into the maze of coral. There are guys on the beach who will watch your stuff for you and didn't seem to care if they got a tip or not. He was thankful that we tipped him but it didn't seem like he would have minded if we didn't. Servers will come by to bring you drinks just about every minute. If you go to Roatan you MUST get to Tabyana.
Read 1642 Roatan Reviews