Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by Garyorient

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by Garyorient
Vision of the Seas
Vision of the Seas
Member Name: Garyorient
Cruise Date: August 2009
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: Q
See More About: Vision of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Vision of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Vision of the Seas Deck Plans
Vision of the Seas Denmark/Norway August 26th 2009
This was very much a last minute booking, which is not how I normally plan my holidays, but for various reasons I booked this at the beginning of August just after I had come from the Equinox for its naming ceremony.

I booked a full package with Royal Caribbean including flights and transfers. Had I packaged it all myself, it would have been more expensive, and at least it avoided any potential hiccups with same day flights.

The flight and transfer was seamless and we arrived at the ship at about 1100 to 1115. Despite the fact that I had transposed my wifes and my passport number when checking in on line we were on the ship and walking around by 1125. Totally stress and hassle free.

Initial thoughts were that the ship did look a trifle dated, but it took a very very short space of time for us to realise that this only added to the charm of this smaller Vision Class ship. First day lunch in the Windjammer is always a thrill for me, and this was no exception. Good quality food with a great window table overlooking Copenhagen docks.

Lunch over, cabin sought out and entered with luggage already there. How cool was that? Inside cabin, but for a 5 night cruise no problems. Cabin was plenty roomy enough, and after a couple of minor problems with the safe we were unpacked well before 1400hrs.

As it was a beautiful day we decided to do a little bit of relaxing by the pool outside. Not much to tell there apart from the fact that it was most enjoyable.

Sailaway bang on time, and before we knew where we were we were in the Main Dining Room at 20.45 for our second sitting dining. I had opted for a large table, as, being somewhat of a social animal, good food and good conversation is integral to my cruise enjoyment.

In no way did the Vision disappoint. The table we had was superb. A mixture of young(ish) and old(ish) American and British, but all really good people, who's presence on the table only enhanced and improved the whole cruise experience.

The first day was a sea day. Miserable weather, but who cares when you are at the indoor solarium and all you need to worry about is whether to spend 15 or 30 minutes in the jacuzzi.

The day was enhanced by my trip to the casino and my first hand on 3 card poker yielded a straight flush.......happy days.

Evening meal on day 2, just as pleasant as day 1. The next day we arrived at Bergen to beautiful skies (a complete contrast to the forecast given by Captain). We were breakfasted and walking in the beautiful town of Bergen by 0800 and by 1000 was back in the ship in the jacuzzi. This was one of our better decisions, as just after this, the heavens opened for the rest of the day.

and so it proceeded. Every night the same superb food, the same superb company.

At this point I must emphasise how superb the service levels were on this ship. From the Dining room staff, to the room attendent, to the Viking Crown Bar staff, to the Guest Relations and especially to the casino staff, eho all insisted on dealing me winning hands through the entire 5 days.

I loved Bergen and adored Geiranger, but for me the essence of cruising is the peace and tranquility that the Vision gave us on the Sea days.

This was as enjoyable a 5 day break as I have ever had. The ship was wonderful, and I would love to do a repositioning cruise on her at some point in the future. As it is I will have to resign myself to a 7 night cruise on the Mariner of the Seas in October.

Please do not have any reservations about going on an "older" ship. She has charm, class and everything you would enjoy in a cruise holiday.

Publication Date: 09/09/09
More Vision of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Vision of the Seas review Read the next Vision of the Seas review

More Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews