Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by crusing48/51

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by crusing48/51
Majesty of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Member Name: crusing48/51
Cruise Date: August 2009
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: SO

Bahamas, Coco Cay, Key West, Who could ask for more????
Our background: We have been married 13 years, no children. I turned 49, and DH turned 52 on this cruise.

Day 1: We drove to Charlotte, NC to the airport on the 31st(I know it's risky, but I like living on the edge!). Our flight to Miami, on American Airlines, went without any problems, and we found our luggage,along with the RCCL reps right away. We got on a bus to the pier, and were there in about 20 minutes. We were on the ship in around 10 minutes, as our line for decks 9 and 10 was virtually empty. We checked out the room and were so glad we chose the SO on deck 9. It was spacious, with a nice size vanity, sofa, flat screen TV, and queen size bed. The mattress was nice and comfy, almost like home! The bathroom was small, but we knew it was going to be, so no surprises. The obstructed view from our window was a lifeboat that was not too much of an obstruction. We could still see out just fine. Up to the Windjammer for a quick lunch, then off to explore the rest of the ship. Majesty is in good shape. DH and I like the smaller ships, so she was excellent. Muster drill for us was in Boleros lounge, and guess what, you don't have to take life preservers any more! We spent sail away at the aft of the ship on deck 10. The views were awesome,and DH got lots of cool pictures. We met some friends for dinner in the Moonlight dining room on deck 3. We like early seating, so we can see the 9pm shows. This night's Welcome Aboard show featured Steve Bruner, a comedian. He was good, some funny jokes, some not so much. After that, DH, myself, and one of our friends hit the casino. We broke even, so all in all not a bad night! Then it was off to bed to get ready for Nassau.

Day 2:Nassau We had an early excursion, so we were up and eating breakfast at 6:30. Gotta have the coffee!! Our first outing was the Nassau and Paradise Island Tour. We were escorted to the van by our driver, Leslie, and taken through the shopping district to Fort Charlotte. We toured the fort, with its dungeons, and got some good photos there. We were told about the soldiers and prisoners kept there. It was interesting for some history of Nassau. Then we went to Fort Fincastle, with georgeous views of the island, and the Queen's Staircase, which has a lovely manmade waterfall. I was glad we got to walk down the 65 steps to the coolness at the bottom of the stairs. After that, we rode across the bridge to Paradise Island and Atlantis. DH took some great pictures of the lobby and aquarium at the resort. We decided it was too expensive for us to ever stay there! After that, it was back to the ship. We had second breakfast and dessert(they were in transition to lunch). We relaxed on the ship until time for our second excursion. We got to ride Segways! Our driver took us to a place called Earth Village. We were given helmets, knee and elbow pads, and were shown how to drive and steer the Segways. Then we were escorted down trails and our guide pointed out different trees and flowers native to Nassau. We did some manuvers, and an obstacle course on the Segways. It was a blast! We rode on them around 2 hours. It was money well spent, and we would do it again in a heartbeat! After this excitement it was back to the ship to rest and get ready for dinner. We opted not to do formal night in the dining room, so we ate in the Windjammer. We checked out the trivia contest in Boleros. It was movie music, and DH and I helped out a family who had entered. They won the prize, so I got a magnet and pen. It was pretty fun. The show tonight was Signed Sealed Delivered. It was songs from lots of different soul singers. We enjoyed it very much, probably because we knew all the songs and sang along to them. That's all the fun we could stand for one day, so it was bedtime to get ready for Coco Cay.

Day 3: Coco Cay We took our time getting up and getting breakfast in the Windjammer. Thought it would be best to let the initial rush to get to the island blow over. One of the best things we did was to book a couples massage on Coco Cay. It was very relaxing, and DH and I enjoyed it very much. After our massage, we found chairs, then a hammock, and just vegged out for the rest of the day. It was beautiful on the island and we saw some iguanas, who wanted their picture taken, so we obliged them. It was also very hot and humid, and we were glad for the sunscreen we packed. Please drink plenty of fluids if you go there! After a few hours, we headed back to the ship to get ready for dinner and the show. The entertainer tonight was Ivan Pecel, a juggler, who is quite talented. He was amazing and funny too. Both DH and I enjoyed him very much. We watched the Love and Marriage game show this night also. It was fun to see the contestants and hear their answers. After that, bedtime called to get ready for Key West.

Day 4: Key West Breakfast and coffee in the Windjammer again. After that, we strolled off the ship without a plan. Once in Key West, we saw the Conch Tour Train and decided to try it. The tour was detailed and informative. We were driven all over historic Key West, and our driver pointed out lots of the local houses, architecture, and sights of the city. There sure are lots of bars in Key West! The only thing is we didn't stop at any of the sights. DH really wanted his picture taken at the southernmost point, so off we went, on foot, down Duvall Street, in the heat and humidity. At one point we saw the Blonde Giraffe and HAD to stop in for a piece of their famous key lime pie. It didn't dissapoint. It was delicious! We finished our trek to the southernmost point landmark and I took the coveted picture of DH in front of the thing, only now we had to hoof it back up Duvall Street, in the heat and humidity, to get back to the ship. We kept stopping for water, and ice cream too(because it was so hot), and finally made it back to the Majesty. After that adventure, all I wanted was a shower and a nap! I got both, then a magnificent sunset as we sailed away. We ate dinner with our friends and saw the show, Boogie Wonderland. The crew also said their goodbyes in the dining room and at the end of the show. The captain spoke after the show to wish us well and invite us back again. This is the night DH and I played Name That Tune trivia again in Boleros. I just knew we had this one. It was classic rock, and DH has played drums in bands since he was 14. He knew every single song(or so we thought). He only missed one, and someone else had all 20 correct, so we didn't get the prize this time. Oh well, there's always next year! We hung out in the Schooner Bar with our friends for awhile, but I had to finish packing, so we went to the room and got ready to disembark.

Day 5: Back in Miami, and up early to have breakfast and get off the ship. Our luggage tags were beige, so we waited in the Chorus Line theater until time to leave. We found our luggage easily, and were on the bus back to the airport around 8:30am. Once in the airport, we found the American Airlines counter, and got our flight changed to an earlier one than I had booked. We were back in Charlotte around 1pm, and home around 3pm.

Some observances not mentioned above. Our room steward was Jeffrey and he was fabulous. He was very friendly and helpful. Our waiter was Gabriel, and our assistant waiter was Jessie. They were both pleasant and quick to serve us our meals. If there is any complaint I have it is with our next door neighbors on the ship. They were consistent in waking us up around 3am each and every night with very loud voices and lots of partying. Other than that, this was a wonderful vacation, with lots of beautiful sights and I would go again tomorrow if I could! Also, I wanted to have pictures in this review, but never could figure out how to insert them from our software. Sorry!!!

Publication Date: 09/07/09