A Wonderful Ship And Crew Marred By Rust, Neglect, Companywide Cutbacks: Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by wtb6chiny

Enchantment of the Seas 3
wtb6chiny
Member Since 2009
1 Forum Post

Overall Member Rating

A Wonderful Ship And Crew Marred By Rust, Neglect, Companywide Cutbacks

Sail Date: May 2017
Destination: Bahamas
I am a Diamond member w 20 RCL cruises, and this was my 4th cruise on Enchantment since 2009. For me and MANY diamond members I speak with, Enchantment is unique and much loved. I have introduced family to cruising on this ship, and they have gone on to sail time after time with RCL. My early experiences with RCL were so positive that my family and I have spent considerable money on 9 ships from Vision Class, Voyager Class and Freedom Class. I will be posting some pics t this review, including some of corrosion, much rust damage to outer decks, stained seats on dining chairs, etc.

On this cruise, I travelled with a friend, this was his introduction to cruising. The boarding was very smooth, cabin was fine. My cabin was in the central part that was added to the ship when it was stretched years ago. The parts of the ship, and the crew that are great are many. But, neglect and cuts to maintenance, amenities, and indifference diminished my experience a little, and the experience More of other Crown and Anchor members I spoke with. The Centrum is wonderful, tho I kind of miss the huge lucite sculpture that used to hang down the open multi deck space. There were no performances by suspended acrobats, just parties, dances in the beautiful space. On this last cruise, I've taken photos of very stained dining room seat cushions at my table (many stains, which can be easily cleaned), chair frames literally coming unglued, massive rust spots, corrosion on promenade deck, and other highly visible areas of deferred maintenance. And it's a shame. Enchantment offers a great experience, one of the best in the fleet from a cruising perspective, and better than some of her biggest sisters. My favorite RCL ships to date are Liberty, Navigator and Enchantment based on overall experience.

On my first cruise in 2009. I loved the size of the ship, it hits a true sweet spot in size and style, comfort and user friendliness. It did not have the surfing, bumper cars, ice rinks, which most cruises will never use. But on my first of 2 cruises in 2009 I noticed some rust on the promenade deck. I dismissed it. I was happy to hear that the ship was later (only partially) refurbished w addition of a refreshed Centrum, new carpet and upholstery, a cafe in the Solarium, and a huge outdoor TV by the pool. Other than that, the exterior looks entirely untouched. I again cruised last October, during Hurricane Matthew, and the crew was sensational in that experience, when an itinerary change and some uncertainty made the cruise unusual. But I noticed HUGE, deep spots of rust on the boat deck structure, vents, window frames, walls.. Crews were seen painting the railing, but were not seen painting the superstructure, or the incredibly rusted window frames/parts on the promenande/boat deck. Some rust created holes in the window frames large enough to stick several fingers inside. The window frames had entirely rusted and rotted in spots all over the deck.

On my cruise last week, a 4 night departing 5/8/2017, the rust had become much worse, much more extensive. And this was the first impression RCL left for a friend I was introducing to cruising w RCL. And it made me angry at RCL that such visible, needless neglect was left in the open. All while BILLIONS of dollars are spent on massive new ships with features no one has clamored for, but for which all RCL cruisers pay regardless. Every cruise ticket w higher fares pays for those new ships, but not maintaining the older ones? We all pay more and more, plus more fees are added to cruising, while amenities, captain's receptions, and even stateroom pens that cost pennies (and are needed to fill out menus, tags, envelopes) are cut from some, or all, of the fleet. But Enchantment was left to rust. After pressing crew member at Guest Services, they revealed that the ship would be undergoing "major improvements" during an unusually long drydock in Fall 2017. The neglect has been mentioned in many many member reviews, and it is only going to grow more visible and egregious until RCL remembers that this is still a window into their corporate culture, priorities, and how they need to do better, not just throw all of their money at their largest ships. They need to take care of this beloved ship, or sell her off and give someone else a chance. The ship has PLENTY of underutilized space for a couple of added specialty restaurants, and the windjammer is out of date, needs MUCH better space management. There are many ways they can reorganize it in the existing space to improve passenger flow.

Dining room service was wonderful, with Rosette, asst. waiter at table 470 a special delight. Food was good, not great, Been cruising with RCL since 2009 and have had almost the same menu, and as a frequent traveller, I'd like to see more changes to WIndjammer and Main Dining Room menus. Less

Published 05/19/17

Cabin review: M4581 Inside Stateroom

Wonderful tidy cabin, which type I have often used on this ship. However, room service now costs $8, the cabin bathrooms all were missing boxes of kleenex, and the ship no longer provides passengers with pens to fill out the new room service menus, or luggage tags, gratuity envelopes, etc. And, there is no minibar anymore on Enchantment. They used to provide one, but now it's only a bottle of water.

Read All Inside Stateroom (M) Reviews >>

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

wtb6chiny
Member Since 2009
1 Forum Post
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X