Diamond Princess Cruise Review by abizer

Cruise Date: August 2009
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: Bal
See More About: Diamond Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Diamond Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Diamond Princess Deck Plans
Princess - Overall Outstanding Organization/Experience
This was my first cruise, and the third cruise for my wife and her parents. Overall we had an amazing experience, and I was very impressed with the service and organization of Princess.

Ship: Top notch. Facilities excellent, and lots of fun. Bars/Nightclubs were first rate, and fun. Only gripe is the nightclub was pretty empty at 1100PM, but I'm guessing that has to do with the average age group being older on this ship. We used the hot tubs every day, and there are several indoors and outdoors. Temps were a little off (either too hot or too cold), but a minor issue.

Room: We had a balcony cabin on Aloha Deck, which by luck ended up being a great find, because this had a roof over the balcony, which is a huge plus in the rainy Alaska environment. Steward and room service all first rate.

Food: Excellent. My mom-in-law lived in the buffet, while my wife preferred the fine dining at the international dining room. We had fixed seating at 5:45, which I would recommend. It gave us flexibility to go to the first show after dinner, and the two days we missed dinners because of excursions, they seated us with no problems at 8:00 with the same waiter. Wait staff was amazing. We mentioned off-hand that we enjoyed Indian food, and the next night, after our normal dinner, magically appeared 5 star quality Indian Dinner, without us asking!!! They did this for us the last two nights.

Shows: Also excellent. I would say the equivalent of a 'B' Broadway show. I went to the shows only to accompany my family, and have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and performance. Also saw a comedy show which was nice.

Misc: Before the cruise I griped to my wife that I would be bored, as I am an active person that doesn't stop moving. I have to say that both myself and my wife had a fabulous time everyday, and instead of being bored, I found myself without enough time in the day to do all the activities on the ship that we wanted to try (dance lessons, bingo, workout, food show, swimming, etc, etc).

The last thing I will saw is that Princess definitely has their act together. In terms of getting on and off she ship, was seamless. We did a land tour after the cruise, and our bags always appeared on time at the correct room!! Kudos to Princess for their organization!!

Publication Date: 09/01/09
Read the Alaska ports review by abizer
More Diamond Princess Cruise Reviews