Carnival Pride Cruise Review by Evaninmainesmom: Review of August 21st sailing of PRIDE

Evaninmainesmom
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

Review of August 21st sailing of PRIDE

Sail Date: August 2009
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

We chose the Carnival Pride as we wanted to depart from a port on the East Coast that was within driving distance of Maine.

I traveled with my husband and 15 year old son. It was our 4th cruise (3rd for the son) and the 3rd year in a row that we have cruised in August.

We enjoyed sailing from Baltimore. It was well organized. I was very impressed with the handling of the luggage. It was great not to have to carry the luggage into the terminal. We were on the Pride by 3:00 pm

The food in the dining room was outstanding. We were very impressed. However, my son is a vegetarian and they had minimal choices for him. As such, we usually eat at the dinner buffet so we can eat as a family. Last year, we sailed on the Carnival Victory and he was able to find a variety of choices in the buffet. This year, the dinner buffet was very very disappointing. Most of the "food stations" were closed in the evening and there were very few choices. It ended up that More hubby and I would go to the dining room and he would eat with some of the new friends he made.

I had looked at the Cruise Critic forums and followed their recommendations for several of our stops. At Grand Turk, we simply walked off the ship and went to the beautiful beach that was there. The shops and beach area were great. I couldn't believe there wasn't a charge to use the beach or chairs. At Half Moon Cay, it was a beautiful beach once again and the included lunch buffet was much bigger than we expected. They even had veggie burgers! My only suggestion regarding Half Moon Cay was that a little better signage was needed to direct people to where to rent snorkel equipment and the clamshells. People were wandering around asking people where to go. In Nassau, we booked a room at Atlantis for $225. for the day and were able to go to the water park there instead of paying $156. per person thru the cruiseline. We had been warned that food was very expensive at Atlantis but we found a small snackbar that had relatively reasonable prices. The waterpark was very nice but not as big as I expected. I was happy that we hadn't paid $450+ for the three of us to go there. Warning - there is a lot of walking involved. That significantly cuts down on the "fun time". We probably spent about 3 hours in the water. On the last stop, Freeport, I chose to stay on board and the two "boys" enjoyed a snorkeling trip we booked thru Carnival.

We did go to the health club/spa while on ship. It was beautiful and well-maintained. Most of the staff was very nice. We did have to ask about the steamrooms on more than one occasion. They weren't working when we got onboard and when we asked, we were informed that they would be working shortly. It was apparent that the woman didn't even check and had no idea that they were out of order. The next morning, they still weren't working and we got someone else who was willing to look into it. I had an accupunture treatment at the spa after attending a free seminar. I am going to try a local treatment because much of what the woman said made sense and because of positive feedback others in the seminar made regarding their local experiences. I was very turned off, however, by the woman doing the treatment on the Pride, however. She spent 1/2 of my treatment trying to convince me to purchase additional treatments or herbal remedies. She pointed out the place to "tip" her for her services and stood right next to me staring at the slip while I completed it.

All in all, it was very enjoyable and I look forward to our next cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Hubby and teen age son enjoyed the snorkeling trip. They weren't all that impressed with Freeport overall.
Read 779 Freeport Reviews

We simply walked off the ship for a day on the beach. Beautiful!

Aquaventure at Atlantis is a nice waterpark but not worth $156. per person for the time you get to spend there. Check out the forums for info on how to save money!
Read 2645 Nassau Reviews