Frequent Disney Cruiser- noticed some changes : Disney Magic Cruise Review by shirlsyourgirl

Disney Magic 5
shirlsyourgirl
Member Since 2017

Overall Member Rating

Frequent Disney Cruiser- noticed some changes

Sail Date: April 2017
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan
We LOVE Disney and have bought the Vacation Club and have enjoyed many visits to both land and sea. We have cruised on the Magic several times before. This time we noticed some changes I thought I would note. I agree wholeheartedly with the travel agent who reviewed before me. But some of the changes have not resulted in an improved customer experience.

Disney has added the gratuity to all bills relating to liquor consumption. I think I used to pay more out in tips than I did with the new system. However, the mandatory gratuity has made the wait staff less motivated. The "additional gratuity" which you could add over the one that is on the bill is what motivates the staff. Unfortunately, that gets super pricey, especially when paying in USD and being a Canadian lol. I learned late in the cruise that the additional gratuity is split between the staff working your area (usually two). The mandatory gratuity is split between all staff working that day. I More really like the idea of the mandatory gratuity as some people are cheap and wouldn't tip, but this doesn't motivate staff to be their best. It was noticeable in the dining and pool bar areas.

The other significant change we noticed was the menus. We used to struggle to decide because every option was outstanding and that was not the case this time. If you are a "plain" eater or pretty mainstream, it was difficult to find an item that didn't have some elaborate description with sauces and spices. On one day for example, three of four items had raspberries or dill. This limited choices for people who didn't like those things. The quality of the food was good but we weren't excited to see the menu each day. We did speak to the head chef about this. We had a 21 year old with us who ended up ordering from the childrens menu most times as there were descriptions of food we were unsure of. The goal of having more elaborate menus takes away from the family dining experience we had come to know and love.

In terms of activities- almost everything is happening late at night. We had a child who would be content to watch a movie in the theatre. The Buena Vista Theatre is under-utilized, particularly in the daytime hours.

Also, days in the sun are long- having activities starting at 10:15-10:30 for children/teens is too late. C'mon Disney!

The Rainforest is too expensive for what you get on the other ships. It doesn't even compare.

David who provides Adult Entertainment was ridiculously fun. He was definitely the highlight of the trip for us.

Otherwise, the ship was spotless, crew were smiling, shows were amazing and the sun was shining. You can't go wrong with Disney! Less

Published 05/08/17

Cabin review: 04A5468 Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

Clean and tidy, located aft, this cabin is spacious and conveniently located.

Read All Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah (04A) Reviews >>

Member Since 2017
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X