3 star cruise at 5 star pricing: Disney Wonder Cruise Review by sadams1011

Overall Member Rating

3 star cruise at 5 star pricing

Sail Date: April 2017
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral (Orlando)
This was my second Disney cruise (first was on the Dream) and I have to say that overall, this one was a disappointment. I would honestly give it 2.5 stars but I rounded up; my husband who loves all things Disney gave it 3 stars. We traveled with our 2 school aged children and my parents in 2 interior staterooms.

No problems with embarkation. We arrived late (3pm) because we spent the day at Kennedy Space Center. Our rooms were ready when we arrived. Both bathrooms had hair in the tubs and on the floor but were otherwise clean. The vents in the shower were full of crud...best not to look up! Beds were comfortable and rooms were adequate.

The good:

We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment. The shows, especially Frozen, were top-notch. We saw several newly-released movies including Born in China and Beauty and the Beast. Our waiter was very entertaining. He was personable and friendly and very attentive. The assistant waiter was nice but did not More interact with us much aside from taking drink orders. Our room host did a great job. Aside from the hairs upon arrival we had no complaints.

The bad:

The food was not up to the same standard as on the Dream. Steaks were rubbery and tough. Fish was hit or miss. Triton's was our best meal, and Tiana's Place was the worst. Shrimp and grits were completely flavorless and the sea bass was not good. Even sticking to our waiter's recommendations we encountered several bad meals. The kids' food was often the worst. Cardboard crust pizza with overcooked, hardened cheese or rubbery chicken tenders were the norm. We ended up ordering off the adult menu for them and splitting it but still usually got room service after dinner for them.

The kids club was the biggest disappointment to me. I had hoped to use the adult-only spaces on this ship and enjoy some time alone with my husband but we got a call shortly after dropping the kids off that they wanted to be picked up, and we had a hard time getting them to go back. Both of my children hated the kids clubs.

My son can be a bit of a "momma's boy" so if he had complained, I would have taken it with a grain of salt, but both of my children shared the same story and the same low opinion. After waiting his turn, another child quit playing one of the tablets in a gaming area. My son began playing, and after seeing that my son had been able to beat the level the other child was stuck on, the other child came back to reclaim the tablet. My son does not stand up for himself (he's 7 and quite sensitive), so he was disappointed and wanted to leave. He went to the first staff member he saw near the entrance and asked to be picked up, and was told that he had to go to the front desk. He thought he was at the front desk, so again, being timid, he went and sat on a bench and began to cry, not knowing what to do (at the open house, we specifically asked and were told that when he was ready to leave, he could tell any staff member wearing a blue and yellow shirt). My 10 year old daughter was also there and saw him crying, so she asked what was wrong, and then went to the front and again asked for us to be called. She happened to go to the same staff member, who then proceeded to snap at her, telling her that she had already told my son he needed to go to another area to have us called. Needless to say, this made both of them not want to go back. My daughter is a joiner and very outgoing and she did try going again, but there were so many kids in the club that she was unable to partake in any of the activities she wanted to do (building a volcano and making goo...there were not enough spaces or supplies for everyone). My son really wanted to do the whale dig on Castaway Cay but when he found out he would have to stay in the kids club to do it, he refused.

Guest services was rude and disinterested both times we went to them. I lost my camera, and my husband lost a backpack on the cruise. Coming back onboard from Castaway Cay, someone accidentally picked up our back from the xray machine conveyor belt. We didn't see it happen but couldn't find our bag once on the other side. We went to guest services and they could not have cared less. They did not offer to call or go down to the gangway. We went back ourselves 3 times and fortunately the 3rd time someone had returned it after realizing their mistake. Guest services sent a form via our room hostess for us to sign that the matter had been resolved. That was the extent of their "help".

This cruise was full of family members of the cruise ship staff. Cruise staff work very long hours and for months on end and I think it is wonderful that their families are able to join them. However, I truly believe that this lead to us having distracted and inattentive service instead of the usually superior service we have had from Disney cast members. I had pre-selected a 7 day Disney cruise out of San Juan to book while onboard to get a discount, but after this cruise, our family will be trying another line. We do not feel we got our money's worth, and even the kids were disappointed. The bottom line for us is that the awesome shows and amazing waiter were not enough to make up for the many other shortcomings. Less

Published 04/28/17

Cabin review: 11C2011 Standard Inside Stateroom

Cabin was OK. Next time I would go for the Deluxe inside with the split bathroom. Bed was comfortable and overall it was clean, except for the hairs in the tub and on the bathroom floor and the gunk in the vent above the shower. Room host always made towel animals and kept things very tidy.

Read All Standard Inside Stateroom (11C) Reviews >>

Member Since 2017
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X