MSC Musica Cruise Review by jbpilot: First time's a charm!

jbpilot
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on MSC Musica Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

First time's a charm!

Sail Date: June 2009
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

I must admit that I am a cruise rookie so I have no prior experiences to serve as a comparison. However, our family trip was absolutely fantastic. The MSC Musica is a very beautiful and impressive ship and the cruise did not disappoint. We embarked out of Venice. My only complaint would be the lack of MSC employees at the Piazzale Roma to greet us and make sure we got on the right bus to the Port. What was worse was that there were 2 Costa employees to meet and greet their guests and help them get on the bus. Not the best first impression. Beyond that, the check in and embarkation process was very smooth. I did the online check-in before we left which shortens the process. Furthermore, I booked suites for us and there was a special check in area for us which expedited the process. The ship and our suite was absolutely beautiful. The ship's crew were very helpful and friendly. The food was very good, better than I expected considering how many people were on the ship. The gym was nice More albeit small and the pool decks were impressive. The price was perfect for us having 2 children travel for free. I know some people posted their displeasure with the ship being more ala carte for drinks, but it worked well for us. We tried to maximize our time ashore and didn't want to feel pressured to make it back for the dining. We did buy soda cards, drink cards and wine cards, but not until we checked aboard vice doing it online. The shore excursions were great, especially "Sailing the Caldera" in Santorini - highly recommended. The ships crew were extremely helpful with all excursions.

Two suggestions 1) Pass on any Bari excursions - not much to do. 2) Pass on the guided tours at Athens and Olympia. The Greek tour guides, although very nice, would talk way too much at the expense of seeing the sights. In the end, we ignored them and went off on our own. Disembarkation was a snap, no problems whatsoever. Like I said, this was my first cruise, but I was really impressed. An overall great time for my whole family (my wife, 2 children, 9 and 11, and my two inlaws). There is probably a lot more I could add. The most important thing for me was that MSC Musica did everything really well and I would definitely cruise with them again. Less

Read more MSC Musica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Musica Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Musica Balcony Suite Cantata Deck

Sailing the Caldera is a must. A great time. We still had time to go up the gondola and then walk down the donkey trail.