Star Princess Cruise Review by deckslug: First time cruiser

First time cruiser

Sail Date: July 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

As a first time cruiser, I have fallen in love with this type of travel, but since I only know the Star Princess I don't have a comparison. However, I have traveled for 30 years and dine out often. In addition, I waitressed during college. I chose Anytime Dining and found the food to be "wedding fair" with the breakfast awful. After the first morning, I went to the Horizon buffet for breakfast and found it to be much better than the dining room. I brought it back to my room and sat on the balcony - just fabulous. The coffee was so weak I needed a pitcher, but the staff would not give me one, nor a pitcher of hot water. They told me to order room service! I bought the coffee card, but I did not taste a difference. Was the coffee made from a syrup? Next trip I will bring my own. I was completely surprised with the dining room staff as they were so unfriendly, and actually seemed as though we were bothering them. I tried both Anytime Dining rooms and the staff presented the same More way. While still on my entree, one waitress actually put the dessert menu in front of me! There was never conversation and they only answered questions with a yes or no. The room steward seemed friendly and the service fine, but I did not have much contact with him because I never asked for any additional service.

I had an awful experience with the transportation from the ship to Seattle Airport. Although it was with Princess, we waited on the bus for about 20 minutes watching the cabs take off. Another passenger asked the bus driver to open the lavatory and she said she was still taking luggege. The same passenger asked the driver again when she got into the bus and it looked as if we were finally leaving. The driver told her no. Another passenger asked and the driver told the passenger it was only a 15 min. drive to the airport. (of course it is longer). I, too, asked her to open the lavatory relating we were told we would have that facility. The driver refused. It was clearly uncomfortable and next time I will take a cab and/or a different cruiseline. I would love feedback, as again, this was my first cruise. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess 704

Aloha Deck 12 Room 704. Loved the room because it was next to the stairs and directly below the Horizon Buffet. Very convenient. I never heard any noise, but spent little time in my room - I was always on the balcony. Loved having a washer/dryer down the hall - met people there and this allowed me to travel light. The closet was more than enough space, the shelving spacious, and the bathroom w/amenities very nice. I would definately request this room again.

I took a walking tour of the Rainforest and it was perfect. Beautiful and informative. The young tour guide was interesting, answered all questions, friendly, and clearly loves his job. The town itself seemed created for tourists, like a small world in disney.

Seattle is a beautiful city and I spent 2 days there. Toured the Space Needle, Pike's Market, Underground City and took the Duck. The Duck was fun. I loved the city but found the homeless in my face not so much fun. I live in NYC but we have Police to rely on when they bother us - something I guess Seattle does not! In 2 days, I never saw a police officer. At the Space Needle they really need to do something about it. As a woman, I would not venture out at night.
Read 102 Seattle Reviews

I booked a full day tour to the Yukon with walking over a bridge. The weather was 90 degrees and it appeared they did not have air conditioning on the bus and/or did not run it while the bus was stopped. The Yukon was just beautiful, but with the heat, not comfortable. The stop for lunch was dreadful and watching the sled dogs suffer in the heat with flies all over them was horrible. There was nothing to do there and they had a fake animal in the mountain. On the way back to the boat, the bus stopped at yet another fake town hoping people would buy tourist junk. Dreadful. Most people on the bus were complaining. It should have been only 2 hours of seeing the beautiful countryside/mountains/waterfalls, not 7 hours. Skip this one.
Read 643 Skagway Reviews

I took a bus tour of downtown and it was perfect. The driver was friendly and informative. We stopped to take pictures and then walked around the city. It was pretty and a few hours is all we needed.
Read 555 Victoria Reviews