Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by tacbets21: Easy Mediterranean

Easy Mediterranean

Sail Date: August 2009
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

I traveled with my husband and teen daughter on the 8/2 Western Med sailing on Navigator of the Seas. For my husband and me, this was our 5th cruise, and second on Royal. We had wanted to take a Med cruise last year, but ended up putting it off, so this was a long-awaited trip that we were very excited about. In the past I'd acted as my family's travel agent, but this time we used a professional and were very happy to have the assistance.

We flew into Rome and spent a night at the Mecenate Palace Hotel. We used Rome Cabs for the transfer, and had them come again the next day for the transfer to the port. They were reliable and this worked out very well. The scene at the port was a bit chaotic. No one helped us with our bags; it seemed that porters were going to everyone else but us, even after we directly approached them asking for help. Finally, someone agreed to actually take our bags, and we went on to check in. Check in was smooth and quick, and in no time we were on the More ship.

The ship was beautiful. It was the largest cruise ship we'd been on, but generally did not feel crowded. We had a balcony cabin. It was not large, but was adequate, especially since we were able to stow our suitcases under the bed, giving us the maximum amount of storage space possible.

We did My Time Dining. This was our first time using this. We had chosen it because we wanted the flexibility of eating at different times. In general, it worked well. We were always able to get a table for 3. On the third night, though, we dined later than usual. We had been unable to make a reservation, as we were out at port all day and thus not on the ship during the limited hours they had the phone line open to make a reservation. We ended up having to wait quite a while for a table. Worse than the wait, though, was the absence of any communication. Along with the other passengers, we all just stood in line- there were no names taken, or lists made, as there would have been at any land restaurant in the U.S. I'm not even sure how a reservation would have helped, as there was no separate line for people with reservations, and they were not going through the line looking for people with reservations. Additionally, the same person was both assigning tables and walking people back to their tables, thus leaving the podium empty for long periods. After this, we realized that it would be best to arrive at the dining room before 9:00. When we did this, the process was very smooth and we did not have to wait for a table.

The food was good; definitely better than what I remembered getting on my previous RCCL cruise. The assistant waiter took drink orders. This was a welcome innovation, as it was nice not to have to wait for the bar staff to place an order for a glass of wine.

We dined every night in the dining room. We had made reservations for Chops, but eventually decided to cancel them. The menu didn't look like anything that special, and we were enjoying our dinners in the main dining room enough so that we didn't feel we needed the specialty restaurants. We tried Johnny Rockets one late afternoon after a long day in port, and enjoyed the comfort food there. The Windjammer buffet was good for breakfast and lunch, although on port days we had lunch in port.

The entertainment was the usual kind of cruise ship stuff. The singers and dancers were talented, but the productions were kind of cheesy. Nevertheless, it was fun to go see the show after dinner. This ship had a first for me- an ice show. I hadn't been expecting much and was very impressed. There were multiple costume changes and it was quite elaborate.

Because most of our days were spent in ports, my daughter did not really participate in the teen program until the very end of the cruise. When she did, she had a great time meeting kids from other countries.

I loved the itinerary. We stopped at Genoa, Villefranche, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, and Cagliari. We had only one sea day; it would have been nice to have more to enjoy the ship, but I wouldn't have wanted to skip any of the ports.

When I could, I also really liked relaxing in the solarium. It was nice to get away from the screaming, splashing children in the main pool. I was always able to get a chair when I wanted one, and I saw ship personnel clearing towels off of unused chairs.

On the sea day, my husband and I tried an Italian class. I thought it was terrible and left early- he stuck it out. We also played Bingo- it's a cruise tradition.

Disembarkation was very easy. We waited in the theater for only a few minutes, and then walked off. We were traveling independently after the cruise, and the RCCL personnel were not helpful in locating the free port shuttle, sending us first to wait in the wrong place. We did eventually find it, though, and I left feeling that it had been a great cruise. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas 7354

Near a housekeeping station, but surprisingly quiet nonetheless. We slept very well and found it to be a comfortable cabin.

We walked along Las Ramblas, and had a great tapas lunch near the cathedral. We went to the museum of the history of the city of Barcelona. It was very well done- we saw remains dating from Roman times. We used the ship's shuttle to get from the ship to town. Coming back, we had to wait quite a while until the driver felt he had enough people to start the bus.

(5.5)
We used this port as a jumping-off point for the Cinque Terre. We took the ship's excursion, and loved it. Our tour guide was great- very personable and energetic. First, we had a bus ride of about 2 hours to Manarola. Then we walked back to Riomaggiore, along the "Street of Love," which is on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Meditteranean. Then a boat ride to Monterosso, where we were able to have lunch and spend some time walking around. A bus ride back to the ship followed- most of us were dozing by then- we really felt that we had made the most of our day.

Read 127 Genoa Reviews

We used the ship shuttle again- the waiting and boarding process were very disorganized. Finally got on the bus, only to learn that the port was closed because of a suspicious bag. There had been recent terrorist activity. We went back on the ship- not a problem! The captain kept us well- informed of the situation and kindly extended our port time both for that day and the next one. When we were able to go into town, there was even more chaos at the busses. Finally, however, we did get in and enjoyed walking around, window shopping and exploring. There was an amazing (huge) cathedral, but the heat, and a broken toe I had were getting to me, and I was happy to go back and relax on the ship.

This was a good stop for the end of the cruise, when we were getting burned out on art and history. Here, the port provided a free shuttle which was much more efficient than those we had paid for at earlier stops. We had a lovely lunch at the Antico Caffe, and my daughter and enjoyed walking around, window shopping and eating gelato. My husband was determined to see more "sights," and went all over the place. There was a Roman amphiteatre, which was closed in the afternoon.

Took the ship's afternoon excursion to Nice and Eze. The guide for this one was not so good. Unlike the guide in Genoa, she did not use the radio to communicate, so we could not hear a lot of what she said. Nice was beautiful, though, and Eze was amazing- a vertical town. This was probably the most memorable sight, just because it was so unusual. The whole town was a wide set of steps.