Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by jayzay55: Great time Wild weather!

jayzay55
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska Cruises

Great time Wild weather!

Sail Date: August 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This would be the first time i had ever visited Alaska i was very excited and the cruise was excellent. We had our fair share of wild weather however i am glad to say that all the problems were resolved.

Our itinerary was supposed to be Juneau, Skagway, Tracy arm fjord and Victoria. Instead due to wild weather our itinerary was Juneau, Endicott arm, Ketchikan and Victoria. When we arrived at Juneau the conditions were horrible and we had to dock 2 hours late. We were fortunate enough because we were allowed to have 2 extra hour in Juneau so instead of leaving at 7:30 we left at 9:30. We arrived in Skagway at 4:am when i woke up i was expecting to see the buetiful port of Skagway, however i was awoken by a message. It said that in Skagway there were gusts up to 60mph! and we wouldn't be stopping there. I was disappointed because i wanted to see the white pass railway. If you booked with RCL you were given a full refund which was nice. Needless to say i was disappointed. The More captain said instead of going to Tracy arm the next day we would be going to Endicott arm the same day. I was eating lunch enjoying the beautiful Endicott arm when the captain announced that we would be going to Ketchikan the next day. everyone in the lunchroom started cheering. We then arrived at Dawes glacier and I was struck by the beauty. Ketchikan was great and was actually my favorite port . Finally we reached Victoria and I also I had a good time there.

The ship- The Rhapsody is a fairly old ship. I was disappointed that there was no basketball court as there was on previous RCL cruises. This isnt a great ship for kids even thou we were in Alaska in the summer I didnt see that many teenagers. My kids had a little trouble finding friends but they finally did. The ship is nicely decorated and the Centrum is great.

Entertainment. Jackpot! Our cruise got some of the best performers available. We enjoyed 2 comedy shows from the runner up of the last comic standing , and a hilarious musical comedy impressionist. There was also a nice show called piano man which performs songs from Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles etc. The food- I enjoyed the food in the buffet and the dinning room however there were no alternate resteraunts like other RCL ships. However the pizza was very good in the solarium cafe.

Service: The service was excellent and we all enjoyed our dining room waiters Rhapsody is called "the friendliest ship of the seas" and I cant argue with that!

Cabins. They were small but you must get the balcony. During scenic cruising it is so peaceful on your own private balcony and Balcony rooms are bigger than interior and oceanview staterooms. Even the smallest rooms feature a small sitting area The Rhapsody of the seas is aging a bit but is still a great ship. Less

Read more Rhapsody of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rhapsody of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Rhapsody of the Seas

Great view

We had trouble getting into the port due to the currents and when we where let of the boat we were 2 hours late and the weather was horrendous. However, The authorities gave us 2 extra hours at night so we didn't lose any time really. All excursions were moved to different time. We did a zip line excursion that was amazing. I highly recommend it. We got so wet and cold but that didn't stop the fun. We were planning To go to the Mendanhall Glacier but did not because we were cold and hungry. We also heard that visibility was very low over there. After taking a warm shower and changing in to dry cloths we ate an early dinner and decided to go down town. It was only drizzling so we walked around took in the scenery and we even walked past the infamous "red light district" which was a area with a lot of prostitutes. We walked back to the ship and went to dinner.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

This town gets about 13 feet of rain a year and in summer it rains almost every single day . However, we were very lucky the sun was shining and it was the first time I had seen the sun during the whole vacation. This was by far my most favorite part of the trip. When we got off the ship we walked around down town and creek street which was beautiful. We went to a lumberjack show which was surprisingly fun. My son wanted to go fishing but the ships excursion would cost about $900 for four people and where I live you can fish in the Atlantic ocean for $40 a person on a nice boat. And plus my wife wouldn’t fish and that just waste $220 My son was disappointed but understanding. But I aim to please, I went to a local fishing tour and asked for information but we couldn’t because it started at the time when our ship left So before the lumberjack show I went to a local fish restaurant to buy a bottle of water. I asked the cashier if there was any where we could go fishing and sure enough the restaurant had a company that based there fishing tours in that very restaurant. It costed $250 for 4 people to fish for 2 hours which was not bad because this was a private tour. This is not sponsored by RCL but that was fine. My wife enjoyed the beautiful scenery and my 2 sons and I enjoyed fishing. The 3 of us caught 5 fish 2 halibut, one cod, and two arrow tooth flounder which was inedible so we threw it back. Our guide was very happy because it was sunny he said that in a 4 months Ketchikan only get about 8 days of sunshine. So we took the fish back to the restaurant and gave it to them They appreciated it. As a sign of appreciation the restaurant owner gave us all some fresh smoked salmon which tasted great. The day ended with a walk around downtown.

- The city was great and reminded me of England but if you have teenage boys please skip the Butchart Gardens!

Read 558 Victoria Reviews