Island Princess Cruise Review by pjk9999@aol.com: Alaska inside passage

Alaska inside passage

Sail Date: July 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

This was my wife and my first cruise, and we went with friends that had been on cruises before. We choose Princess on the advice of friends who had taken several cruises before. Overall we had a great time. We arrived in Vancouver a day and a half early as we had never been to the city before. I suggest that if you take this cruise to take a day or two to see Vancouver. You will not regret it. We arrived early at the port at about 11:15 AM. This was not recomended but we were able to quickly get through the check in and board the ship. We went to have lunch on the top deck. The food was very good as was the service. After lunch we went to our room and found it was made up and ready for us, and our bags were in our room. We packed light and had room for all of our clothes. I suggest bring some plastic hangers as we were a few short and we didn't have that many clothes. We found we had a problem with the shower. First it is very small which is something I'm not use to. I am not small, More but I felt that way in the shower. We could not figure out how to get hot water. We found our stewart and he showed us we had to turn the knob counter clockwise until it stopped then press in on the small button and it would trurn on the hot water. The only other problem we had was with the toilet. You will get use to the sound it the same as on a airplane. You are instructed not to flush anything that dosen't belong in the toilet. We had kids in the next cabin and the flushed something that they shouldn't and it stopped three cabin's toilet for an hour. They did fix it quickly. There is a small safe in the room. Don't forget to look at the code you entered each time. It will show the code for a few seconds after you enter it. I had to get the staff to come up and unlock it after I entered the wrong code when I was locking it and could not get it open. I do not like formal dinners. So my wife and I skipped three of the evening meals so we could just relax. I have no way of comparing this cruise with other, as this was our first cruise, but Princess did a great job. Any problems we had were taken care of rightb away. If you plan to do laundry on the cruise pick up $10.00 in quarters from Passenger Services. The coin machine was not working and it takes about $5.00 a load. (We had to run the dryer twice to get the clothes dry) Less

Read more Island Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Island Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Island Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja Deck B323

Baja deck cabin B323. The room size was good. About the size of a motel room. The shower is very small. If you are over 200 pounds and not over six feet tall it is tight. The balcony is very good, but if you are not a smoker you have to watch for your neighbors who will come out on thier balcony and light up. The views were great. You are high enough to see for a long way. The cabin is toward the middle of the ship so you don't fill the movement of the ship as much as our friends that were at the very back of the ship.

At Juneau we went on the Whale watching tour. They say you will see whales on every tour. I guess they are right we did see many whales, but not very close. It was a rainy day which didn't help. Trying to take pictures was hard. The only whales were Humpback Whales. The pilot did take us to an island were we saw a Bald Eagle and seals. Overall it was worth the money but make sure you pick up the binoculars that are around the boat as soon as you get on. You might need them. We then went to the Red Dog Saloon. This is a must stop. We had lunch,which was very good and the waiter was great. Then off to find some things to spend money on. There are lots of stores with lots of items that you will want to purchase. Remember you have to get them all home somehow. For a State Capital found it to be very small. I found the town to be very small for a town.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

We arrived early in the morning. We woke at 6:00 am and went to breakfast. We laid out the clothes the night before. We went on the Rain Forest Tour. It was great. It is a short bus drive then a hick through the rain forest with a guide. The hick is not a hard one, I'm 61 years old and can walk with not problem for the mile or so that we had to travel. We saw four eagles, a King Fisher (bird) one of the biggest slugs I have ever seen, and Raindeer. At te end we saw a wood carver making a totum pole and a injured Bald Eagle and Owl that were being taken care of. We were at the port only a short time and only had a hour or so to see the town after the tour.

Our last port. We took the Skagway Street car tour. We had a great time. The drivers were in costum from the earily 1900's. They gave us the town history and showed all the sites including the graveyard. The town is very small only eleven blocks long. WE only booked this tour and found we had a lot of time left over. I suggest you take a second tour. We shopped and had lunch then shopped somemore. I you want jewery there must be ten or more shops.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews