Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by srl121

Member Name: srl121
Cruise Date: July 2009
Embarkation: Boston
Destination: Bermuda
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

NCL - Where you're free to...RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!
Day 1 -

Upon arrival, we noticed that the room only had only two towels, even though our reservation was for 3. Right off the bat I was annoyed and already thinking that the cruise line was not going to be attentive. I was right on the money.

Our phone had no labels on it, unlike my friend's phone. It was difficult to figure out which button to push when I needed guest services.

The shower wall unit was missing labels. Not that one could not figure out that the other one was shampoo, but it looked crappy not to be labeled and once again gave me the feeling that the cruise line does not take pride in its ships.

We had no hot water.

We had no TV - it was not working.

My friend told me of a laundry special where if we put our clothes out to be pressed we could get them back by 6pm the next day and it was half price! I decided to do it but unlike my friend, I had no laundry bag in my closet. So I had to call for one. I put my clothes in it and left it on the bed.

I was hugely disappointed that there was not an outlet for a hair dryer. Both of the outlets available were "Not for dryers" and "For shavers only". I wish this information was somewhere available before I packed my blow dryer. Additionally, my hair takes forever to dry with that dryer the cruise line supplies. Most nights I went out with my hair slightly damp. Very annoying. Someone's belt from a previous cruise was left in the room in our closet. Ick.

Day 2 -

We could not get anything but tepid water until Day 2 in the afternoon. This was awful for the first two showers. My kids even went to a friend's room to shower. Why this occurred I still do not know but I pushed on that red button forever and still did not get the hot water expected. When I asked my friends if they got hot water, all of them said it was extremely hot.

We did not have any TV until Day 2 at 6pm after three visits by someone to try and fix it! Someone came the first time to fix it while we were at dinner. When we got back to the room my son was excited to relax and watch a movie because the TV was finally on. Only, what they "fixed" was just that they got the TV "on" and said it was fixed but it only played the channel with the boat's location. Remote did not work. Disappointment set in as we had to call again. My son was extremely annoyed. This time another person came to look at it and decided it needed a new remote. He said he would go get one and be right back. It took about an hour before he returned.

Expecting my laundry to be back by 6pm. No sign of it by 5 pm. I call and a woman says she'll call to find out what happened to it. She never calls back. At 6pm I called again. She says she will call again. This time I ask her to call me back. She doesn't! Now it is too late and I have to wear shorts to dinner because my nicer clothes are not back. Talk about frustration. After dinner I get back to the cabin and STILL NO CLOTHES! I had to call again, making it 3 times in total before it showed up at 11pm with no apologies, and I still had to pay for it.

My son went to charge his game system in the outlet by the mirror in the room and the outlet did not work! Had to call to have them fix it.

Day 3 -

Starting today, Day 3, we had to call DAILY to have towels replaced. We tried to keep same towels for the first two days but with the humidity they never dried. They were gross. After that, at times the wet towels were left and other times replaced. Some times they were picked up and other times they were left on the floor!

Day 4 -

The left side of the closet stopped working on Day 4, making it difficult to get to anything on that side of the closet. Called 4 times to have it fixed, as well as speaking to our steward Eric in the hall about it twice but to no avail. IT NEVER GOT FIXED!!! So every time I had to open that side I had to open the right side all the way and drag the left one open. This was beyond inexcusable. Every time I had to open the closet I got very upset, usually yelling out loud, making it miserable for my children.

Day 5 -

I ran out of shower gel on Day 5! I cannot believe this was never checked and refilled! There were three of us in the room so considering that it should have been checked at least once during the week. I had to use shampoo to shower with. I was extremely agitated with this.

Day 6 -

We traveled with friends. On this morning, we all got to breakfast only a few minutes before 9:30am. The hostess seated us without a problem. Our waitress, however, was the rudest person we encountered the whole trip!!! She had a nasty face, was rude beyond rude, threw down, yes, threw down cream cheese on our table, and had no patience with us whatsoever. It was so bad that our beverage person picked up on it and eventually got us a new waitress! If they didn't want to serve us, they should not have let us in to the dining area. That was totally uncalled for and upset and angered all of us!

Day 7 -

The last day of the cruise was my younger son's birthday. I asked at the reception desk if I could get a larger cake and also asked if there could be decorations. A very nice supervisor said he could get it done. They took my order and I expected everything to go smoothly. We asked the supervisor if we should decorate and they assured us that the boat staff would take care of it. I told my son all about it and he was very excited! HOWEVER, when we got to the restaurant, there were NO DECORATIONS! I was very upset. Then the host comes over with a white bag with all of the decorations in them!!!!! He had just received them. So we went without them. I was beside myself for my son who didn't know why the room wasn't decorated. I paid $50 for a cake to have a nice party with decorations and there were none. Truly disappointing. I carried the decorations home with me.

And last but not least, the last night of the cruise the pull out bed was not even turned down!!!!!!

Additional issues/Inconsistencies:

They market "freestyle" as free to do whatever, but in reality, if you travel with a group and want to eat together, they only allow that at 2 specific times in the evening so there was not a lot of flexibility with that.

Also, there were 20 of us that ended up cruising together but because we did not book together, NCL did not acknowledge us at all. No discounts on anything!

My friend's room was stocked with a bottle of water and sparkling water when he arrived. We had none.

Ice bucket was only filled first day. The same water from the melted ice stayed in the bucket the entire rest of the week.

The balcony was very dirty. The fiberglass was filthy and there was a lot of dirt around making the whole balcony very unappealing to sit in. Why have people pay for a balcony and then not even keep it clean?

My friend told me that his steward knew his name by day 2 and used it! Even though I used Eric's name the entire week, not once did he bother to ask our names. That was very disappointing.

The entire week I never was able to go into the large pool. Three days in a row I tried to find a chair and not once was I able to secure a lounge chair in this area. People hogged the chairs, and even though NCL says that it is not allowed to do that, no one cared to do anything about it. So I went on a cruise and never went into the pool!!!!!!

Overall feeling - if you sail NCL, you should keep your expectations low.

Publication Date: 08/21/09