Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Tendor is Full: Above Expectations

Above Expectations

Sail Date: August 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Cruising on Carnival before, my expectations were set low so as not to be disappointed. I was plesantly surprised to find some areas of service and food quality had improved. The fact that the Splendor was a relatively new ship didn't hurt either.

Overall the entire family had a very relaxing cruise. The ship had something for all age groups. For example, my parents enjoyed daily tea gatherings in the afternoon and evening music listening around the piano bar. My 10 year old took full advantage of the kids club. On the final party night we checked her in at 10:00 pm and she didn't come back until 4:00 am! The kid's club had a full agenda for them. The pool slide was a big hit too. I lost count after 15 times down the slide. My 16 year olds enjoyed the teen club. They hit the club every night and stayed out til the wee hours. The club was good about only allowing teens in. My 18 year olds loved the pool area. Everyday they hit the gym then up to the pool for More tanning. The adult club was hit and miss.

The public areas all concentrated on the 5th deck. This funnelled all guests into one location which at times made the ship feel crowded. The main public area on deck 3 is fairly small, but attractively decorated.

Embarkation and Disembarkation was surprisingly fast. With 3000 guests to get on and get off, the process was very smooth.

Perhaps the disappointing encounters for me were the service and entertainment. The dining service was lacking. Not was I'm used to sailing on the other cruise lines. Also, one would think the shows would be fantastic giving the size of the ship; however, that was not the case. The dancers were ragdolls. My daughter's school dance performance was 10x better than any show put on.

Never the less the food quality was surprisingly good.

For the price I would definitely consider sailing again. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Verandah 8447

Balcony 8447 is AFT and the perfect location. Proximity to dining room, buffets and pool as excellent. Cabin location was very quiet. Engine vibration was minimal.

Tendor required. Normally tendor into this port is a hassle, but Carnival had this down to a science. I never saw such efficiency on any cruise ship. With so many passengers to tendor, we never had to wait!

This is my favorite port. Lots to do, but the problem is there is not enough time. The stay is only from 7 - 2pm.

No tendor is necessary. Not alot to do at this port; however, the golf at Esterlla Del Mar is my favorite. If you like to shop, the Golden Zone is for you. Just make sure you haggle hard for the lowest price. Most of the jewelry is marked up fairly high.
Read 289 Mazatlan Reviews