Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Singcntry: First Cruise...We Are Hooked!!! Carnival Legend is AWESOME!

Singcntry
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

First Cruise...We Are Hooked!!! Carnival Legend is AWESOME!

Sail Date: August 2009
Embarkation: Tampa

Let me start by saying we really had no idea what to expect. This was a graduation trip for my daughters from their grandparents. My daughters both 18, me and the wife, and her parents. My wife's parents are VERY experienced cruisers. My family, on the other hand had never seen a big Cruise ship, so the approach in Tampa was breathtaking. Seeing the Legend dwarf the buildings around it got us even more excited than we already were.

We arrived at the port sometime around 11:30. Unloaded our bags (Tip # 1: get a sky cap...it's worth the tip for him to take the bags), parked the car and got in line. The line was long, but no more than the security line at the Airport. Once we checked in and had our sail and sign cards, we took a group picture...and off we went. Once on board we went straight to the Lido deck for lunch. Our rooms weren't ready until about 1:30 or so, but by the time we finished lunch, they were open. (Tip # 2: Pack your bathing suit and some clothes More for dinner in a small carry on bag with wheels since the luggage sometimes doesn't arrive till later.) We explored the ship a little and went up on deck for the sail away. You got to be on top for the pass under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, the ship only clears it by about 6 - 10 feet it is unreal, looks like you're going to hit it.

Back down to our rooms and ready for dinner. Dinner was really a highlight for us. I've seen many people complain about having to dress for dinner, come on folks, 7 nights out of your whole life? You'd be surprised how good it feels to dress a little, eat good food and have a real conversation. My daughters LOVED it. Adrian was our Head waiter and Gedde was his team waiter. They were awesome. Desi, the Maitre D', was awesome as well. Dinner was definitely an affair to remember. "It's Showtime". I'll just leave it at that.

For all our other meals we ate on the Lido deck at the buffets. There was American, Italian, Caribbean, Asian, Sandwiches, Salad, Fruit, Pizza, Ice Cream, and lots of other desserts. If you couldn't find something you liked to eat, then you have a problem. The food was great all over the ship in spite of the amount that is prepared each meal.

There is no way anyone could be bored on this ship Lots of activities on board, Shows, Karaoke, Piano bar, Sports bar, Trivia, Live music, the pools, the waterslide, and sunbathing. My kids are too old, but everyone raved about the Camp Carnival activities for the kids. If you have 18 - 20 yr olds....make them go to the meet and greets they'll meet others their age to hang out with and stuff.

Jen was our cruise director and she was great. I may be disappointed in any other director in the future because she set the bar so high. The entire crew went out of their way to make us feel at home and a part of their family. Carnival should be proud to have employees like them.

Read my port reviews for our excursion details.

On the last night we had to have bags packed and out by 12:00am. The next morning in Tampa , we got up about 8:00am, went up to the Lido Deck and ate breakfast, by about 10:00am we were off the ship, had our bags (Tip # 3: get a sky cap...its worth the tip for him to take the bags to the curb for you) and through customs.

All in all it definitely exceeded our expectations. So much so that we are already planning our next cruise! Thanks Carnival for making our first cruise a memorable one. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

We only shopped in Belize and spent the rest of the day on the ship. Not much to do here.

Cozumel was OK. We took a taxi to the ferry over to Play de Carmen and drove to Cancun. I do not recommend this to anyone, stay in Cozumel and do a beach day or shop. The drive wasn't bad and Cancun is cool, but the rental car folks take forever and it really cuts into your day.

Once back in Cozumel we got a really great taxi driver who told us a lot about the island.

Read 3123 Cozumel Reviews

In Grand Cayman we booked the Stingray City Catamaran tour. They picked us up at the port in an Air conditioned van and took us to the marina. There we boarded the Allura Catamaran and went out to Stingray City Sandbar.

This was amazing. The stingrays came right up to us and we could feed and pet them. If you go to Cayman...you must do this.

We sailed part of the way back in then motored the rest. Once at the marina they took us back to the port. We had plenty of time to shop so we went to Senor Frogs and danced in a conga line, with shots at the end. After that we shopped a bit and then got back on the ship.

(5.5)
Roatan was our favorite port of call. We booked a private tour through Victor Bodden Tours. Our driver and tour guide took us on a tour of the island. We went to Victor's house and played with parrots and monkeys. When we left there we headed to the Mayan Princess. It was a scenic drive with lots of photo opps.

Once at the Mayan Princess we purchased a $10 day pass and headed for the beach. This was a beautiful beach. We got lounge chairs, swam a bit, then walked about 200yds up the beach to snorkel. The snorkel gear was about $7.50. The reef is about 20 yds off the beach and was magnificent. We could have spent the whole week there snorkeling.

Read 1651 Roatan Reviews