Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by dmdiver: Carnival Conquest 08/02/09 - 08/09/09

dmdiver
Member Since 2004
1,628 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Conquest 08/02/09 - 08/09/09

Sail Date: August 2009
Embarkation: Galveston

Drove down to Galveston - used Lighthouse Parking. This was our 3rd cruise out of Galveston & the first time we didn't do the drive all in one day. What a difference that makes! We were in the 1st group to board, so we had plenty of time to relax & enjoy the buffet lunch. We went to our cabin at 1:30 to unload carry on items. Lifeboat drill was what it was. Luggage arrived just before dinner.

Cabin:  Great location. Not too far from elevators or laundry room, but just far enough away from the traffic. Quick walk to pools & buffet. Cabins above & below, so no noise problems. You can, however, hear other cabin doors slamming & if your neighbors get loud you will hear them. This is the case with any room, though. Balcony was fine, although it's not very deep for reclining. It has 2 chairs & a small table. Depending on your height, the rail may obstruct your view while sitting. This is an excellent place for just relaxing & reading a More book. It is shaded, as there are balconies above.

We had early seating at 6pm. Food in the dining room was excellent. The service the first few nights seemed a bit disconnected, though. Seemed like a long wait between courses, coffee that was ordered with dessert came after dessert had already been served & eaten. So, not really sure what the deal was there, but it did get better each day. I don't recall our head waiter's name - it started with K & he was from India. His assistant was Artha from Indonesia, I believe. Let me be clear that even though service was a bit slow those first nights, I still was very pleased with the waitstaff.

This was a do nothing cruise for us. We didn't gamble, play games or even go to the deck party. I had originally intended to go, but we had an early all day excursion the next day & I needed my rest. It was nice just to relax for a week. I know my husband sure needed that break.

Shows were fine. Point & Click would have been better if they had just billed it as a normal show & left it at that. We had seen Manuel Zuniga, the juggler, last year on Valor but we still watched his show again. We had also seen Karl Faulkenberry, the comedian, so we only went to one of his shows. We did go to both of Derrick Eason's shows & enjoyed them both. Formidable was also an enjoyable show.

All excursions were booked through Carnival online before the cruise. While looking over the list of excursions provided on the ship, we noticed that our pre-cruise prices we paid were $10 per person cheaper than what was on the ship's list. So, that was a plus. Also, it's nice just to board & not have to worry about trying to book something. We tend to book through Carnival for simplicity's sake. Also, we found that if we had missed GC as a port, we would not have gotten a refund from Dolphin Discovery, only a voucher good for a year had we booked directly with them. So, even though missing a port is not likely, that is something to keep in mind. Cost difference was less than $20 between Carnival & going direct by the time you added in taxi. At least with the excursion, I didn't have to worry about getting a cab, just hopped on a bus.

If any of y'all want to see my pics, I have them on facebook now. Go to http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=33263&id=1189414332&l=a2fcb1d2f7 Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Lido 9250

Great location. Not too far from elevators or laundry room, but just far enough away from the traffic. Quick walk to pools & buffet. Cabins above & below, so no noise problems. You can, however, hear other cabin doors slamming & if your neighbors get loud you will hear them. This is the case with any room, though. Balcony was fine, although it's not very deep for reclining. It has 2 chairs & a small table. Depending on your height, the rail may obstruct your view while sitting. This is an excellent place for just relaxing & reading a book. It is shaded, as there are balconies above.

(5.5)
This was a new dock for us this year. I like it better than the old one - maybe just because it is new & different. We booked the Isla Pasion excursion by Twister through Carnival. I would do this excursion again. The boat ride is crazy & wonderful. Plan to get soaking wet. Isla Pasion is a private island. There are some vendors there. We didn't buy anything. A buffet lunch was served consisting of fish, chicken, rice, fruit & salad. Drinks included in the price of the excursion were beer, margaritas, sex on the beach, sodas, water & I think isla pasion - maybe a rum punch? There was a cash bar, but I have no clue what they served. There were palapas, lounge chairs, regular tables & chairs, kayaks & paddle boats available for use. There is usually a water trampoline, but it was off being repaired. There is a playground for kids that has a land trampoline. There are showers & restrooms available also. Snorkel equipment is available to rent. We had several hours to enjoy food, drinks & beach. Then, off to the twister boat again for more twisting. Seriously, if you don't have any back issues, this is a great excursion & the cheapest of the 3 we did this week.
Read 3104 Cozumel Reviews

Montego Bay - we booked the Sky Explorer/Dunn's River Falls through Carnival. It was an all day trip that included lunch. The bus ride to Ocho Rios was 1 1/2 hours. The driver, Mr. Rowe & guide Kimi were both great. The Sky Explorer is a ski lift at Mystic Mountain. I enjoyed the relaxing ride & loved the view over the tops of the trees. Lunch at the top was jerk chicken, rice, salad & soda. It was tasty & hit the spot. Dunn's River Falls was way too crowded. There were many, many people there, linked hand to hand following guides up the falls. I would not do this excursion again. I enjoyed the physical act of climbing the falls, but the number of people there was just insane.