Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Copzilla: Treated like royalty, just a wonderful time

Copzilla
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Treated like royalty, just a wonderful time

Sail Date: July 2009
Embarkation: Galveston

This vacation was for our 20th wedding anniversary, our first ever cruise. We have no regrets whatsoever. It was just amazing. Our cruise was on the Carnival Conquest, which we just picked because it was a 7 day cruise leaving Galveston over the time of our anniversary. We otherwise didn't know very much about the class of ship or anything.

We live in Friendswood, TX, a suburb on the Galveston side of Houston, and so we didn't have far to drive. We left our house at about 10 AM, stopped off for some breakfast, and we were dockside about noon. We started the embarkation process, and the lines seemed long, but they went reasonably quickly, and we were in our stateroom by about 1:30 PM. Our luggage arrived about 3 PM.

We were in one of the aft balcony staterooms that is oddly shaped but has a larger balcony. The room seemed nice enough. It was our first cruise, so we really didn't have a basis of comparison, but it was comfy.

We were greeted immediately by More our stewardess who was a really lovely asian lady named C.C. Her name was really something long and difficult to pronounce, but she told us to call her C.C. She was just the sweetest thing the entire trip, always just a smiling face in the hallway wishing us good morning, almost invisible otherwise, like a ninja in making our room up while we were at dinner or a show. Quick with the ice if we needed more.

Previous review I read talked about the head door opening toward the stateroom, as an annoyance, and that was true. Certainly not enough to make us want a different stateroom next time.

We enjoyed a couple of the shows, which we had never seen before. We went to the magic show, which was... eh... well, let's just say we go to Vegas a lot, and we've seen Penn and Teller, and this show needs some work by comparison. We didn't expect much, though, and the show was amusing. Particularly nice was the magician lady doing her ribbon dancing, where ribbons hung from the ceiling and she twisted up into them and was spinning and looping. Very nice. We also went to a dance show called Formidable. It was based on French fashion, and it was very very cute, and very polished. I enjoyed this show more than the magic show.

Food service was just marvelous. We ate usually in the dining room. We were center aft of the vessel with a very very good view from a private table. I think Carnival booked us to this table because it was our anniversary, but we were seated just the two of us, with quite probably the best dining view on the ship. We were very pleased. The first formal night we had evening gowns and tuxedos of our own, and we were dressed to the nines. I noted that the staff isn't really too sticky about dress code on formal nights; a couple of people wore western shirts and jeans to dinner, and were allowed in. The food was amazing the entire time. Some of it wasn't as spicy as *I* prefer, but I think they have to keep the spice down because some palates cannot handle what this southern boy can. Breakfast in the dining room was delicious. The eggs benedict were my weakness, and the coffee tastes excellent, probably a medium roast Columbian or Costa Rican. I particularly liked the evening selections, such as rack of lamb, duck appetizers, game hens, and the like. There seems to be something to enjoy that isn't perfectly typical for a menu, and we were adventurous. The desserts... ohhhh my goodness. And if anyone from the cruise line reads this, please express to our waiter Percy and his assistant Indria that we think they're just wonderful.

We ate one night in the really fancy restaurant on the 11th floor I think, and it was an absolutely terrific experience. The steaks were gigantic, and my wife ordered lobster, which was a really large offering. It's a very nice dining experience, several course meal along with a couple of surprises from the chef to try this or that, and I would highly recommend doing it at least once on the trip, at $30 per person.

As was stated in another review, Chris the cruise director was a complete riot. We enjoyed his dialogue over the intercom, even up to the debarkation.

We really just enjoyed the pools, the hot tubs, the relaxation on the sun deck with a nice book, and movies on the big screen on the sun deck at night with cool sea air, with waiters bringing us tropical drinks in coconut shells carved like monkey heads.

Debarkation was very fast for us. We opted to keep our luggage ourselves, and the movement through customs was quick.

Summary of our trip - great food, lots of relaxation, fun in the sun, we were simply treated like royalty by the staff. We loved this trip so much we've booked it again, for March 2010. See you there! Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Empress 7434

Huge balcony, convenient use of space, excellent service from stewardess

In Cozumel, we went for the Introduction to SCUBA Diving. It was AMAZING, and the most fun tour we took. Both of us are kind of busted up medically speaking, and the tanks were heavy, but the water was crystal clear, and we saw some unusual wildlife, like tropical lobsters, seahorses, tangs, all manner of fish. It was really great, exhausting, but well worth it, very satisfying.

I've been to other tourist destinations in Mexico, like Acapulco, and have sworn to keep my vacation dollars in the States from there on, but this was our first time in Cozumel and I think I'd enjoy an extended stay there. This was a much more polished tourist experience, and they treated us in a much less frenetic manner than they have elsewhere in Mexico.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

In Grand Cayman, we took the Best of Grand Cayman tour that lasted a few hours, just a drive around the island, stopped at the turtle farm where we got to pet some sea turtles, and on to Hell where they stopped in at a gift shop. This tour seems to be a run around Cayman just hitting gift shops, which is alright. I spent some money in the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory shop, of course, which is to die for.

We ate in Jimmy Buffett's, which is right across the road and down a couple blocks from the port. I had the jerk chicken salad; it was AMAZING. It had spicy chicken on greens and small pieces of mango which offset the jerk spice with a little bit of sweet, served with a little bit of creamy peppercorn dressing. Mmmmm... My wife ate the Cheeseburger in Paradise, which she also enjoyed very much. And we had tropical drinks with our lunch, which were very good.

We enjoyed Grand Cayman very much. It's expensive, but it's luxurious.

In Jamaica, our first port, we went on the Appleton Estates Rum Factory tour. It was interesting, but the very long drive was tedious, and I don't think they took us on the quickest route. I think they routed us through a stopping point where they took some kickback for bringing their buses by, and it added a half hour onto our trip. Even so, the tour was interesting, and we were glad we went, but we wouldn't take others there in the future.

The Jamaicans seem to understand how essential to their economy the tourism industry is, and they treated us politely and happily, even bringing a marching band to see the ship debarkation, but frankly, the place is very run down. My recommendation would be to stay in Montego Bay area with your tours, as the driving all over the island is very treacherous.