Eurodam Cruise Review by Jerry of San Francisco: Eurodam - Food Ordinary

Eurodam - Food Ordinary

Sail Date: July 2009
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Copenhagen

I did not expect much from Holland America's Eurodam (my 3rd cruise with them) and I was not disappointed. I eat mostly in the main dining room as I expect to have better food there. Unfortunately the food was bad to ordinary in all of the venues. One night I had a lasagna that was over cooked. The only bright spot on the table were the desserts. Except for a tastless frozen yogurt, the desserts were very good.

The ice cream at the ice cream bar at the Lido always had ice crystals. One of the joys of ice cream is the texture, and each time I was disappointed.

The last night a friend suggested we do something different and eat at the alternate restaurant, the Canaletto, a small Italian venue off of the Lido. The experience was bad from the start. We broght a bottle of wine,delivered to my cabin by my travel agent, to the table. The wine stewart suggested that we order a better bottle of wine as the wine we brought to the dining room was the "house" wine. More Considering it was a gift to me I thought it to be quite rude of him to disparage it. He was a bit too persistent. I'm glad we did not spend money on a better wine, for the "house" wine suited the service and food served in the Canaletto. It took an hour to get through the main course which I could only eat half of. The waiter was concerned that I had not eaten the subpar food and begged me to order another entree. We had already wasted one hour on bad food and were not in a mood to gamble on a second disaster.

I did not find the ship decor to be particularly interesting. The giant sculpture in the main lobby is horrid. It looks like an inverted ice berg. Unfortunatly it did not go away by melting by the end of the cruise.

The bright spot of the cruise was the fact that cruiser who gets sea sick did not notice the motion of the ship. we were on the 6th floor and found it to be comfortable. The 11th floor library/computer center/observation lounge was often a shaky place to be.

A word to those who subscribe to internet service, it is very slow most of the day. I lost 30 minutes of my time because I could not log on. About half of my 100 minutes were wasted in wait time. If anyone thinks they will do serious business on a cruise ship computer, they will be bitterly disappointed. The service is very expensive. Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Eurodam Review >>

Cabin review: Eurodam Large or Standard Interior Stateroom Main 6066

Cabin 6066 is between two service areas. My bed was close to the wall where the ice machine is located. There is a humming sound from the ice machine when the compressor is working. Once a day when the cabin steward filled the water pitchers with ice there was noise. At night, expect for the humming ice machine, it was quiet. My cabin mate did not hear the noise on his side of the cabin.

Copenhagen is a very civilized city to visit. The weather is a bit damp, but the temperature is nice, cool. There are lots of wonderful art museums to be had. We had a Copenhagen card that got us into museums free and were able to ride all of the local transportation for free. The card comes in 24 hour and 72 hour versions. It is expensive but the card paid for itself quickly and was a great convenience.

Remeber to stay out of the bike paths. This is a bike rider's heaven!

English is spoken widely. Be aware it is an expensive city for food.

Another northen city that has a lot to offer. The architecture is quite interesting.
Read 334 Helsinki Reviews

Warnemunde has very little to offer the tourist. If you want to spend the day at the beach you will be happy. Most passengers took the reserved trains to Berlin, a four hour round trip, for an eight hour tour.

I chose a bicyle tour of the country side, lunch included. It was brutal for this 65 year old, more miles than I had expected.

St. Petersburg is very popular with tourists, so expect hugh crowds at the palaces. We booked an off ship tour company, Den Russ recommended by our travel agent. It was cheaper. We chose a two day package which included two lunches. One lunch in St. Petersburg was terrible. The other lunch venue outside of St. Petersburg was at a new dining hall built like a Tzar's palace and was fantastic. My only complaint was that we had a too fast pace through the palaces - we never stopped moving.

The cruise ships will try to scare the passengers into not taking an off ship tour. The tour company furnishes the required visa. You cannot get off of the ship unless you have a visa in hand unless you are on an organized tour.

Stockholm was my favorite city on the cruise. Another very civilized city. English is widely spoken. The city is beautiful with lots of art museums to visit.

(5.5)
Tallin is a fairy tale city well worth visiting. It was vey clean. Why can't American cities look like this?
Read 350 Tallinn Reviews