Carnival Glory Cruise Review by nytefyter: Western Caribbean WOW!

nytefyter
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Western Caribbean WOW!

Sail Date: July 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Let me start by saying that we took this vacation for no reason other than the price was right and I had to have a get-away before my wife decided I needed to remain married to work rather than her.

That being said, I had some trepidation about going on Carnival (I'd heard mixed reviews) and I, personally, didn't want to go to the Western Caribbean (based on what my in-laws had said). I was much more than pleasantly surprised by this experience! I had so much fun, I am already making plans to go back.

The ship itself was not top on my list. As many of you know, Carnival has a theme for each of its ships, and the theme for the Carnival Glory is "All the Colors." It can become sensory overload. The ceiling is constantly changing color in bizarre patterns. The black tile floors are broken up with random colored tiles. The nice part is that the public areas are easy to find, as they each carry their own color theme (White Heat Disco, Burgundy Bar, Bar Blue, More etc.).

While the dinner meal was wonderful, and Elmer/Benito were top notch waiters, I didn't much care for the other eateries aboard. The eating schedule in the Red Sail Lounge never seemed to match when I was hungry, nor were any of the three grills on deck active when I was looking for a bite. The only place open 23 hours (they say 24, but it closed every morning at 7 for an hour so they could clean) is the pizzaria. The pizza was awesome, but when you consider it was the only place open, and there were several hundred (if not more than a thousand) teens and kids aboard.... I did appreciate that there were always juices, tea, and water available at no extra charge. Perhaps I was spoiled by Princess and their 24 hour food service.

Overall, I would sail Carnival again (I'd just try to avoid the colors of the Glory) and I would go back to the Western Caribbean - they both surpassed my expectations. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Interior Upper 6293

Cabin 6293 is dead center of the ship. It was very quiet, despite being directly above the casino/casino bar. Because it is off a passageway that runs the center of the ship and for only about 10 cabins, there is almost no traffic outside. It is amongst the largest of the interior cabins and is very comfortable, though I challenge anybody (other than honeymooners) to spend much time in their cabins.

I booked my excursion through coralbreezetours.com and I cannot recommend them highly enough! The manatee watch/reef snorkel/beach break with Hammerhead Watersports was AMAZING!

The tender from the ship (ship cannot get close enough to tie up in port) brought us to the tourism village about 40 feet from where we met the excursion operator at the Wet Lizard.

We set off on a 25 minute boat trip to Bannister Cay on the barrier reef (passing our ship as we went). The reef was beautiful, the drinks and coconuts were free on Bannister Cay, and not only did we see manatees, but we saw dolphins playing with the manatees! All in all, it was probably the most pleasant 5 hours I've spent in a long time.

The port itself is nice as well. The shop keepers were not pushy and the goods were quality. The only caveat I have to share is: when shopping, make sure you understand if the price is in Belize dollars or US dollars (and if paying cash with US dollars make sure they either give you US change or the correct number of Belize dollars - check the exchange rates at xe.com before you go).

What good can be said about this? It is a gaudily painted strip mall in the middle of the jungle, so you just cannot get away from the shopkeepers who will step in front of you to impede your walking and guide you into their store. If you go outside the marketplace, there is nothing but jungle and desolate fishing huts.

I also picked up food poisoning at the restaurant there.

Did I mention that the Mexican Army is patrolling the strip mall too? Makes one wonder what the threat to tourists might be.

Should I go back, I likely won't leave the ship.

Nassau is a busy place - while we were there, four cruise ships tied up. In wandering the strawmarket, the vendors were loud and willing to make deals, but were nowhere near as pushy as they were in Mexico - it made for a much more enjoyable experience.

We booked through Best on Bahamas and went to Blackbeard Cay on the "Stingray Adventure" where we swam with and fed sting rays. While it was fun, there were a ton of people and the sand was almost always stirred up so the rays were difficult to see. On the plus side, the handlers allowed me to stay in the water with with rays for over two hours.

It was enjoyable, but I think I might try something different next time.

Read 2646 Nassau Reviews