Carnival Legend Cruise Review by bookworm778

Member Name: bookworm778
Cruise Date: July 2009
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 4a

Our first cruise was a good one!
My husband and I cruised July 19-26 with Carnival Legend. We are both early 30's, with no kids. Embarkation wasn't too bad, got there at 1130am, on the boat around noon. I would suggest bringing a bathing suit so you can get in the pool that day since your luggage doesn't arrive at your room until evening. We just walked around and ate at the Unicorn Cafe.

Food: The Unicorn Cafe had great food, I thought just as good as the food in Truffles. Salad bar was great, only problem is that some parts of the cafe are only open certain hours. So if you want to eat at 3pm, what you want may be closed. The pizza station and the deli station I think are the only ones that have later hours. You have to wait for the pizza to be made also. The only free drinks are coffee, tea, and lemonade. You can get OJ and guava juice free only in the morning. Truffles was good, I am vegetarian and there was only one vegetarian option every night, but it was always good. My husband is a big meat eater though and was disappointed that the meat was always cooked well done. I guess when you're serving 2500+ people, you can't get everything made to order. Unless you eat in the Golden Fleece, which costs $30 extra per person. I also liked that you could see what was on the menu for that night on your tv in the room.

Alcohol: As for the only 2 bottles of wine rule, I met many others that brought liquor. I brought wine as well as a bottle of vodka, no problems. Next time I will bring lots more liquor. They let me bring opened bottles of water with me in my purse on embarkation as well. I don't mind spending some money on drinks, but the drinks are expensive. One day I ordered the Drink of the Day and it cost $15 because they automatically bring it in a souvenir cup. On the first elegant night, they have a pre-show in Follies Lounge where they advertise that everyone gets a free drink. Do GO! The servers keep coming around and my husband and I each got 3 free drinks. Also, some nights they have martini specials in the lobby bar for $7.50 and they are very strong and very good.

Entertainment: The shows each night in Follies were all great-the comedians, the Vegas-type shows, Motown show, and a New Orleans show. Very entertaining, I wish they had been longer. The karaoke was good, but after a few times, you realize it's the same people doing the same songs over and over. Billie's Piano Bar is fun at night too with sing-a-long songs. Although, if I don't hear the song 'Sweet Caroline' in the next 20 years, that will be fine by me. The nightclubs were usually dead, the casino was always full, but I didn't do any gambling. The pools were a lot smaller than I expected, not all that much bigger than the hottubs. Best time to go to the pool or to lay out on deck was after 1pm. Everyone is out there at 11am, then it clears out at lunchtime and dinnertime. I stuck with the adult pool in the back. There is always something to do on ship though, if anything it was hard figuring out which to choose from.

The things I didn't like was the music selection and the long lines. All the music was pop or rap from the 90's. Don't think I heard anything from the past 5 years. It was strange to eat breakfast to the tune of "you down with OPP? Yeah, you know me!" The lines to eat and to get off the ship on ports were ridiculous. They moved quickly but just kind of annoying. I guess that's to be expected though with that many people.

I brought antinausea medicine since I have pretty bad motion sickness. I only had to use it on the ferry ride in Cozumel and smaller boats. On ship, didn't feel much movement, just some swaying every now and then. The room was great too, loved the towel animals and the cleaning service several times a day! The mini fridge in our room we used to keep our bottled water cold that we just refilled every day to bring with us on excursions. The bathroom had shower gel and shampoo that smelled like Fruit Stripe Gum. There was also free samples of toothpaste and a woman's razor. There were bathrobes and a hair dryer in the room as well. I was worried with our room being on the 1st deck and directly underneath the casino, but I never heard anything from upstairs and not having a window was fine with me, the room was pitch black to sleep in!

All in all, was a great vacation, and will plan on going on another cruise in the future.

Publication Date: 08/06/09