Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by 1012 room from hell: 1012 cabin from hell!!!

1012 room from hell
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

1012 cabin from hell!!!

Sail Date: July 2009

We sailed out ready for a wonderful, romantic 6 day cruise on July 26th, but what we got was barbells dropping right above our stateroom and the sound of treadmills being used from 6 a.m. - 10 p.m.  It started almost as soon as we started to settle in to the our cabin on the first day of sailing.  As we unpacked we heard these great big "Thud"  sounds coming from the ceiling.  Since we knew that most people would just be getting unpacked we wrote off the loud noises to suitcases being moved around or dropped.  Within an hour we knew better, as we started to hear the sound of several treadmills being used and the clanking of barbells being dropped to the floor (our ceiling).  We left our room and went to get a drink and watch the sunset.  On our return to our room to get ready for dinner the noise was still going on.  We called down to the front service desk to report it, hoping they could do something about it or change our room.  Since the More ship was sold out there was no room to be had.  We were assured that the spa and gym employees would be called and would do all they could to stop the patrons from dropping the free weights to the ground.

Be aware that if you find yourself in room 1012 on the Carnival Freedom you will not have a restful vacation. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Interior Panorama 1012

We sailed out ready for a wonderful, romantic 6 day cruise on July 26th, but what we got was barbells dropping right above our stateroom and the sound of treadmills being used from 6 a.m. - 10 p.m.  It started almost as soon as we started to settle in to the our cabin on the first day of sailing.  As we unpacked we heard these great big "Thud"  sounds coming from the ceiling.  Since we knew that most people would just be getting unpacked we wrote off the loud noises to suitcases being moved around or dropped.  Within an hour we knew better, as we started to hear the sound of several treadmills being used and the clanking of barbells being dropped to the floor (our ceiling).  We left our room and went to get a drink and watch the sunset.  On our return to our room to get ready for dinner the noise was still going on.  We called down to the front service desk to report it, hoping they could do something about it or change our room.  Since the ship was sold out there was no room to be had.  We were assured that the spa and gym employees would be called and would do all they could to stop the patrons from dropping the free weights to the ground.  At 11:45 p.m. the noise finally stopped.  The next morning at 6 a.m. we were awoken by the sound of weights being dropped.  It scared the heck out of us so much that my heart was pounding so hard and for so long that my husband was scared I was going to have a heart attack.   We went down to the service desk and complained about the noise, letting them know that we had been awaken at 6 a.m. and that the noise continued till 11:45 p.m. the night before.  They again assured us that they would do something about it. Mid day we came back to our cabin to had a nap and spend some quite time in the cabin reading, but we had no peace and quite.   My husband made his way up to the spa to check it out and found that the spa clerks were not monitoring the gym at all but instead were maning the front desk trying to sell spa treatments.   There was no sign asking the passengers to place the weights down instead of dropping them as we had been told there would be.   I went down to the desk again and reported the problem.  Now although the service desk clerks tried to help nothing did.  THe noise continued.  Instead of staying up at night to enjoy the shows or go out dancing we were back in our cabin trying to get some sleep.  Instead of having any real peaceful and romantic time in our cabin we were forced to stay away from the cabin all day from 6 a.m. -10 p.m., only coming back to freshen up and change for dinner each night.  On final port of call Jamacia, I was so tried and by that time my nerves were shot I couldn't even go on shore to enjoy the day.  I went to the House Manager and just broke down and cried.  I have a heart condition called ARVD and the sudden and loud noises along with the lack of sleep had taken it's toll.  The House manager took one of the service desk clerks and moved her to the gym where she stopped anyone from dropping weights for 2 hours so I could sleep.  The next day which was a day at sea and our last day of the trip she again positioned a clerk in the gym from 6 a.m. 9 a.m. so we could sleep in.  The House manager and her staff tried to make it better but they could really do little to change things.  The problem lies with the design of the ship.  Having the gym above staterooms is a design flaw.  Noone should have to go through what we went through.  Take my word for it, never take a stateroom that is under the gym or other recreational areas of a ship.  The House manager did give us a small refund 20%, but this is far to little to make up for the noise, the loss of use of the cabin, the lack of sleep, and the ruined vacation we had planned for all year.  Be aware that if you find yourself in room 1012 on the Carnival Freedom you will not have a restful vacation.

Love Grand Cayman, always have. The beaches are beautiful and the people friendly. We did the Cayman Shore snorkling outing which we booked through the ship at a price of $70 for two. It was located just a simple 10 minute walk from the dock. If you want to go it isn't worth paying ahead like we did, but instead just go there yourself and for $8 you can rent the equipment and do exactly the same thing we paid $35 to do. You'll save a few bucks and have some left over even if you have a few drinks and lunch there.