Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by bigles46: RELUCTANT BALTIC CRUISERS

RELUCTANT BALTIC CRUISERS

Sail Date: July 2009
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Harwich

My husband and I were were very reluctant to go on our cruise with Celebrity to the Baltic, after having read reviews on this forum about the ship, the staff,  the food, the excursions, the entertainment, the cabins.

I was so worried about going that I contacted my agent, who in turn, forwarded my e mail to Celebrity who are supposed to contact me within 28 days, Nothing yet, but early days, only got back on Saturday.

I felt that I had to write and give my comments on the ship etc., to those of you going away soon and feeling like  we were, before we left.

First of all the concierge cabin was very good, large and clean, with champagne on arrival, flowers in the cabin and bathroom. Thomas introduced himself to us very quickly and he was always very kind and helpful.

Our two waiters were very good, and nothing was too much bother for them, they kept our table amused every night. the food was very good, with a lot of choice.

The More excursions were very well organised and we booked some for St. Petersberg, Stockholm and Oslo. You can arrange indepent trips, but be careful, we decided on our second day in Stockholm just to explore the old town, but we saw a picture of the Vasa museum and decided to go there by ferry. When there, the queue was horrendous, but we got in but only spent 20 minutes there, and you need at least half a day, got back to the shuttle bus area, and we had missed the last bus, so had to get a taxi back which cost 35euros for a five minute trip, but got back with only 5 minutes to spare, it is not worth the worry to go it alone.  In St. Petersberg we booked the evening trip to Pushkin Palace, a wonderful evening and well worth the money.

The evening shows were a bit lacking, we have seen better, but they were entertaning.  Most of the bars have some music during the evening and they were all very good, but Perry Grant in Micheals Bar was very, very good. We heard that some people book their cruises only on ships were he is playing. We had to sit on the floor some evenings, he is so popular, but well worth it.

We met some wonderful people during our two weeks and had a lot of laughs, a bonus was the weather, it was very hot most of the time.

I can finish by saying that we were very pleasantly surprised when we got there, and I don't know what people expect sometimes.  The only small complaint I can make is that we were on the 9th deck concierge class. Above our balcony was a large canopy which extended out a long way, therefore, we didn't get any sun on our balcony and we couldn't see up to the sky.  On investigation we were under the swimming pool area and the canopy was the walkway around with the sunbeds. It could be noisy with children running around and people with hob-nail boots. One morning at 5.30 the cleaners were pressure washing the sunbeds and woke us up.

HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD CRUISE. Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Constellation 9072

CABIN 9072 CONCIERGE CLASS. VERY LARGE CABIN WITH LARGE BALCONY, BUT A LARGE CANOPY EXTENDS OVER THE TOP OF THE BALCONY WHICH IS WALKWAY AROUND THE POOL ABOVE. CAN BE NOISY ALL TIMES OF THE DAY AND NIGHT, ALSO DOES NOT ALLOW SUN ON BALCONY. BATHROOM HAD LARGE SHOWER. GOOD ACCESS TO MID SHIP LIFT.

JUST WALKED OFF BOAT AND BROWSED. VERY NICE TOWN

Read 50 Berlin Reviews

WE CAUGHT THE HOP ON HOP OFF BUS HERE AND SAW THE SIGHTS AND THEN HAD A CANAL CRUISE. ALL VERY GOOD

CAUGHT SHUTTLE BUS INTO TOWN AND WALKED AROUND AND SHOPPED. VERY NICE TOWN

Read 335 Helsinki Reviews

BOOKED THREE EXCURSIONS HERE,HIGHLIGHTS OF ST. PETERSBURG ON THE FIRST DAY, WHICH WAS VERY INTERESTING, IN THE EVENING WE WENT TO PUSHKIN PALACE FOR EVERNING TOUR AND ENTERTAINMENT, VERY,VERY GOOD, ALTHOUGH IT DID TAKE TWO AND AHALF HOURS TO GET THERE, BECAUSE OF TRAFFIC. ON SECOND DAY WE DID THE CANALS, WHICH WAS GOOD,BUT BY THIS TIME WERE WERE ON OVERLOAD WITH ALL THE HISTORY.

TWO DAYS SPEND HERE, BOOKED EXCURSION FOR FIRST DAY ON CANALS WHICH WAS VERY GOOD. SECOND DAY CAUGHT SHUTTLE TO TOWN AND EXPLORED OLD TOWN, THEN VASA MUSEUM, WHICH MADE US LATE FOR SHUTTLE AND HAD TO GET TAXI BACK, 35 EUROS FOR 5 MIN TRIP. BUT AS MY HUSBAND SAID, 'CHEAPER THAN A FLIGHT TO OLSO'

CAUGHT HOP ON HOP OFF BUS AT PORT AND TOURED THE TOWN, ENDED UP AT THE CASTLE AND WALKED AROUND, LOVELY TOWN

Read 352 Tallinn Reviews