Golden Princess Cruise Review by KansasScrapper: We had a wonderful and beautiful cruise!

KansasScrapper
Member Since 2004
3,359 Posts

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Alaska Cruises

We had a wonderful and beautiful cruise!

Sail Date: July 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Let me start by saying we did the inside passage round trip out of Seattle on the Golden Princess.  There were four of us.  My husband, our best friend, Sharon, my Mom and me.  Our cruise was scheduled to leave on Saturday, July 4th.  We went out on Wednesday, July 1st.  We spent time in Seattle as we had never been there (Sharon had though).  I will list Seattle as port #1 as I want to write some things on it.  It is a very pretty city and we did enjoy our time there and wish we had more.

Although we did not fly in on Saturday, we did rent a car.  We did it through the airport.  So we returned it back to the airport.  We did take the Princess transfer from the airport to the port.  It was sooo easy.   They were right by the baggage claim and had a flat bed ready for all our suitcases.  They took us right to our check in area.  After a little mix up we were off to our bus.  We were then taken to the More ship.  I can understand were people were saying it was a mess at the peir.  It has a small drop of pick up area.  The buses are allowed in first (which was us).  Then everyone else.  The only problem I saw was there is just a small drop off pick up area.  People were dropping of and picking up all at the same time.  However, It was moving along smothly.  We got off the bus and got in line, we were in line, thru security, had our ship cards and on the ship in less then 30 minutes.  We went to our rooms, dropped off our stuff and went up to eat by 12 or 12:30.  Then walked around exploring the ship.

My only complaint is the beds were BAD!!  For a ship that just came out of dry dock I sure was disappointed that they did not put new mattress on it.  Shame on you Princess.  We did get the egg crete everyone was talking about.  It did help some, but they really need to replace them and NOW!!!  Would it keep me from sailing her again, probably not.  I also think they have over priced the photos at $25 each for the formals and $15 -$19 for some of the other ones.  I read on some of the cruises they ran specials like buy 3 get one free.  They did not run anything on ours.  So I did cut back on how many I bought.

We did enjoy the International Cafe it was GREAT!!  We loved it and ate there alot.  We did The Ultimate ship Tour and loved it.  I agree with some of the posters on it being $150.00pp is a little high, but it was fun and enjoyable.  I don't understand why they do not allow photos though.  I have seen people posting photos of when they had a tour of the bridge.  So maybe Princess should rethink the "no photos".  I would of liked to scrapbook all of the different places.  We did not get to go to the funnel like some others that have done it, not sure why we didn't.  My husband and a friend (he is a CCer as well) did the Chef's table and enjoyed it!!  They said it is well worth the $75pp.  If they would do something other then seafood I think more would want to do it.  That is why two of us didn't do it.  Plus I am not a drinker so maybe they could adjust the price and not serve the wine???  Just an idea.

We did find the entertainment on this cruise a little disappointing then on others.  We did not see what we normally get when in the caribbean.  We are use to having something every night in the main theater.  The comedian Rodney Johnson was funny, so we saw him both nights.  They really only had two big shows and we missed the second one.

The port books everyone is talking about are as you are getting ready to get on.  We did use them and got some good deals.  But one word about them.  You HAVE TO have the book with you in port to get some of the "deals".  No one has said or I haven't read that.  So Sharon missed out of a couple things in Juneau.  Also, on the FREE coin or bracelet charms you can only get ONE free set per cabin.  We were treated by nasty sale reps in Juneau on these two things.  I want to let those who plan to get them know.  BUT the rest of them were nice and friendly and we did have FUN with the hunt.

Our last night and heading home.  We did an excursion The Best of Seattle.  We toured Seattle and then they took us back to the airport.  Best money I have spent.  Our flight didn't leave till 5pm.  And it was better then sitting at the airport all day.  The tour also includes tickets to the Space Needle.  I would do this again as well.  The only thing I didn't like is I wish we had more time at the Space Needle.  We also got time at Farmers Market.  They ask to see what time everyone's flights left and we had a 3pm one on ours so we had to be at the airport by 1pm.  Everyone else were 4pm and later.  I do wish they would of maybe put the flights together as they did have several buses going. Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess Interior Double Plaza Deck P322

Our cabin was clean.  Our room steward was wonderful!!  He was great!!  Always polite, nice and had a smile!  He did what we asked and when we asked.  My only complaint is the mattresses were BAD!!!  We were right next to the art gallery.  There was a nose on a couple of the mornings but we are not sure what it was.  It sounded like shoes in a dryer.  Both times it was early in the morning.  We loved being by the International Cafe!  Our room was by a dead end so we didn't get a lot of traffic, which was nice.

I really, really wish we would of had more time here. We were not in Ketchikan long. My husband did the Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure Tour through Princess. He said he enjoyed it but thought it was a little over priced at $99pp. He said it wasn't cold at all with the wet suits. Us ladies got off and shopped. We didn't really have much time to do anything. The lumberjack show did look funny. It is a shame that Princess can't stay longer and not go to Victoria or not go to Ketchikan and stay longer in Victoria, BC.

We fly into Seattle several days early to see seattle as 3 of us had never been to Seattle. It sure is a beautiful city. We did several different things while we were there. I will list what we did and how we liked it. We pretty much liked everything we did. You do alot of walking though. I am NOT listing them in any order. The Ducks Tour was fun and the Locks Tour was neat. I will put them in the order in which we did them.... 1. Locks Tour on Argosy Cruises - This was so neat. We all enjoyed it. The price wasn't bad at all at $40.25pp. It was a narrated cruise It takes you through the Hiram Chittenden Locks. It was about 2 hours. It was very nice and we all enjoyed it. 2. Underground Tour - DH and I did this tour. Two other CC members also joined us. I will not write for them, but I am pretty sure they also liked it. We enjoyed it. It was $15pp. It was a fun tour and it is underground. For those of you who watch Frasier his coffee shop is there. I did not watch that show so I think that is what they said.... 3. Ride The Ducks - OMG We had a blast!!! $25pp and well worth it. I did read that we wanted the Pirate and I asked for him and was told his "Duck" was sold out for the day. So we took the next one which was at 11:30am. BTW: They are right across the street from the SIFI Museum and the Space Needle. When we lined up for ours guess we who got, THE PIRATE!!! We had the best time and he was GREAT and FUN!! On our way back we blew a tire and we were trying to tell him while doing the song YMCA. We told him once we got back. 4. Science Fiction Museum & Hall of Fame - $15pp for both museums. We enjoyed this. Good for the money. They had alot of SiFi and music stuff you could view. They would not allow photos. Unlike others I did not take any. They also had a speical thing on The Muppets. If you have a limited time do this after the others. 5. Something that no one has mention that is a nice ride and only $6.70pp is a ferry trip over from Alaskan Way. It was a nice ride and at night so pretty with the whole city lite up. We rode the ferry over to Bremerton. The Naval Base is there and we saw some of it. I wish we would of had more time to get off and look around. Next time I would do this and get off look around and then take the ferry back across. It is free to bring it back. It is a nice ride across the harbor. It runs all day and into the night.
Read 104 Seattle Reviews

We loved Skagway!!! We did both our excursions through Princess. White Pass Scenic Railway $125pp and To The Summit $38pp. We enjoyed them both very much. The train was nice and enjoyable. The bus was fun as it takes you on the inside parts of Alaska. It also stops along the way. We like them both for different reasons. I would recommend them both! They picked us up at the dock on both of them. Since you can pick your times you can do them both! We did the tain, then went to the ship for lunch and then did the bus. We got back in time to do some shopping. Skagway was our favorite port!!! If you want to see some of Alaska and only spend a little the To The Summit is a good tour for the money and well worth it!!!
Read 645 Skagway Reviews

We did not get into Victoria until 7pm. We got off and took a taxi downtown and walked around. The taxi was only $9 for everyone, cheaper then the bus. We walked around town and then went back to the ship. Again, we wish Princess would do one of the ports longer so you could enjoy one of them. We wanted to do the castle but were told it was closed. Victoria seemed to be a pretty city.
Read 558 Victoria Reviews