Star Princess Cruise Review by GeMO

Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: bc
Cabin Number: B319
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
First and Last Princess
First let me start with saying that Alaska is amazing!   I'm a travel agent and I took a group of 17 staterooms.  We had some teenagers and some handicapped cruisers.  The lack of customer service that we received convinced me that I will never again book a group or even a personal cruise with Princess Cruise Line.

(1) We received NO help at the dock.  When we arrived it was raining...it is Seattle.   We asked repeatedly for help with luggage.  Many luggage handlers were stopped by us and requested assistance of...even the couple with the wheelchair.  Our answer was that the luggage handlers were assisting Holland America guests only.  We received NO help.

(2)  On board Star Princess The Lotus Spa is one of the poorest run operations that I have ever encountered.  I try to visit the Spa on every cruise ship or resort that I visit.  The Lotus Spa is one continual sales pitch.  I went twice and was never given a robe even when I asked both times.  My massage visit was hurried because my masseuse was going ashore and didn't want to miss a minute of her stay in Juneau.  After a steam room visit and shower I found the facilities sorely lacking.  Not even a trash can for refuse.  A hairdryer...no toiletries...no toothbrushes, etc.  (things that I had hoped to not have to bring from my stateroom).

(3) Anytime Dinning is a disaster.  NEVER were we able to make reservations when we wanted reservations.  The first night we waited in line 30 minutes to be told it would be another 30 minutes before we got a table.  The second day we called ahead (at 8:00am) to be told we could ONLY make reservations for 6:00 or 8:00pm!  We wanted 7:00pm.  The big problem with Anytime Dinning is that I found it to be used by cruisers who had assigned dining.  This dinning room should be used for cruisers who signed up for this option not people who didn't get around in time for their early seating...that is what the buffet is for!  I DON'T RECOMMEND ANYTIME DINING.

(4)  Disembarkation is an exercise in futility.  My group had chosen the self assist option.  We were in groups #400 & #500 and were assigned cards with those numbers.  No one ever looks at those cards and never takes them up.  We were told to meet in the Vista Room and we would leave there at 7:45.  We were 15 minutes late getting out.  Only half of us had gotten out of the room before the next group was told they could leave!!  People were standing in all the halls and stairways.  You can barely move and everyone just starts to go at once.

(5) Pier 91 is new in Seattle and should be overhauled immediately.  There are stairways to maneuver to get out of the building.  Who thought that was a good idea??? Ramps could be built ... there is plenty of room.  Again customer service was sorely lacking at this point.  I was told that there were 30+ steps down or one small elevator.  I choose the elevator line...which is painfully slow.  When I got to where I could see the elevator I saw that there is also an escalator that I could have used.

For my next group I've booked a cruise using Royal Caribbean...or Carnival...or Holland America...or anyone else.
But do see Alaska!!!