Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by starbuck2000

Cruise Date: July 2009
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: M1
See More About: Norwegian Pearl Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

3rd rate cruise line-
I will try to be objective as I can as all experiences are based on your previous experiences. We have cruised over a dozen times on different ships, but this is the first on NCL . It was the new and highly touted "Pearl"  that I couldn't wait to get off .
First this ship compared to others is "CHEEP". really.  It is just made cheep, and decor is tacky to gaudy. They are in the business to strip you of every dime from the minute you step aboard. Hand them your wallet and make it easier. Even the glass of champagne they hand everyone when you board is on your final statement.

Ok. Lets begin with the room. We had a mini suite at the back of the ship with a nice view. Room was much smaller and about the size of a reg balcony room on other ships. It had nice wood walls but a tacky pink couch. Tv the size of your computer montor. Nice bed, closet doors wont open completly (hits bed) and shower temp fluxuates up and down no matter time of day. Room service is ok I guess. One day they left no TP at all. Balcony has two  plastic chairs you cant recline like other ships.

Ok the worst problem is the design of this ship. Not enough room in public places so the ship is crowded every place. I think this is because they have too many specialty resterants (extra pay) consuming most the ships space. Many people, even some that never cruised felt "confined". One evening our group dined at their steak house for $25 per person. My NY steak was about like Sizzler with less  food. My wifes 10oz fillet was good. The general concensis is that cruise ships are not profecient at doing steaks.

Food- This is a hard one. what I think is bad you may not, etc. To me it was just OK. Main room dinning service is slow.  Out of 4 of us only my wife didnt get sick or have a food reaction. Their buffett is a bad joke. Same food every day , hard to get a seat, and K-otic as can be. Ice tea is like "oil". What a mess. Oh yea thats "Free style dinning". Mob dinning is more like it.

Some said the staff wasnt friendly. I personaly had no problem .Over all- If you are an experienced cruiser you may be disapointed due to quality, and food etc. If you never cruised then it will prob be ok as you have nothing to compare it too. Most people we spoke to said they wont be doing another NCL cruise. Look out for reviews too well done, or too one sided, these are put on by the cruise companys to give you a rosey impression of a bad ship.

Publication Date: 07/28/09