Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by 999Cruises2Go: Should be called Vegas of The Seas!

999Cruises2Go
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Mexican Riviera Cruises

Should be called Vegas of The Seas!

Sail Date: July 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Let me start by saying a big thank you to Royal Caribbean for allowing my wife and I to change our cruise date to July 5th 2009 from May 10th.  Swine flu caused the May 10th sailing to be re-routed to Oregon, Washington, and Canada.  I'm sure these are beautiful locations but that's not my idea of a vacation.  I was not forced to pay the cancellation and rebooking fees.  I only had to pay the difference in the cost of the cruising dates which equaled $300.  I got $150 back in onboard credit because I chose a balcony room.  The ship returned to it's normal Mexican Riviera route at the end of June so July brought good hot weather and three beautiful locations.

Embarkation:  Day one can usually tell you how your vacation is going to go.  Sooooo.... Embarkation in San Pedro wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  My ride pulled up to the curb right outside the registration building.  The courteous porters More took our bags and we entered the building to register.  We showed all of our papers, passports, and pre-printed sail passes.  We only had a couple short forms to fill out (swine flu form and some other one).  We got out Sea Pass cards and were onboard in less than 10 minutes.  I was surprised at how well this was organized.  Keep in mind that this ship holds over 3000 people.  We arrived just as the crowd was picking up so I guess we were lucky enough to beat the rush.  I didn't hear anybody complaining about their embarking so I'm rating this perfect.  I immediately went to the Guest Relations once onboard so I could start my Sea Pass account.  I always use "cash" accounts so I can limit my onboard spending.  The last time I used my credit card I went way overboard on the spending.  The people at the desk were pretty friendly and helpful.  They also mentioned that I would be able to use my $150 starting the next day.  I was expecting them to be a little more grouchy (like people at customer service in stores) but they were extremely nice.  My wife and I went to the Windjammer Cafe (the buffet) to eat since the rooms weren't ready yet.  The food was pretty good.  But I've had better buffet food with Carnival CL.  Side note: breakfast was great every day in the Windjammer.  Food for lunch sometimes was a little undercooked.  We only ate dinner there once and it was okay.  Nothing to get excited about though.  Speaking of food...

Food:  Again, the breakfast in the Windjammer cafe was great.  This buffet and Jade are connected and really just feel like one big buffet.  I'm a hamburger or hotdog guy when it comes to lunch.  The problem was that they always seemed to be undercooked.  Not good when I'm hungry.  The pastries weren't too bad.  My wife and I only tried one specialty restaurant.  That was Johnny Rockets. Cost $4.95 and $2.50 more for sodas.  Excellent burgers and fries were served.  My wife enjoyed the onion rings.  I didn't like that we had to pay extra for the sodas here but at least they were large sodas.  I got up and danced with the waiters as they danced for us.  Not bad.  We wanted to try Portifino's or Chop's grill but we could not find the time because of all the things we did on this ship.  We will next time.  The dinners in the main dining room (Rhapsody in Blue level) were okay.  Most nights the dinners were great but there was a couple nights I had the waiter return my food for something else.  Sorry, I'm picky (especially after I've paid a lot for something).  Our waiter Remy was awesome.  His assitant waiter was very nice as well.  They occasionally worked in the WindJammer as well and they always greeted us and remembered who we were.  That's a feat in itself with so many people on this ship.  I liked how they always recommended several meals and told us what to expect for the next day.  Deserts were excellent but my wife ate mine most nights.

Ship Appearance:  Overall this ship is huge.  I know you've probably heard this multiple times but really, you have to see it up close to realize how gigantic it is.  When you're inside, it doesn't feel too large though because of the way it is layed out.  Everthing is well organized and easy to remember how to get to.  Maps are located all over the ship so you won't get lost unless you can't read a map.  The promenade is beautiful.  It's about as long as a city block with stores on either side and lots of decorations.  Expect to see a couple parades here and to participate in several celebrations here.  The pool deck is just beautiful.  There are so many jacuzzis that you never feel crowded.  The pools are large enough to accomodate a lot of people as well.  The adults only area felt more crowded than the public areas so we stayed in the public pools.  The movie theater was kind of small but comfy.  There isn't a movie in there that you won't see in your own stateroom anyhow so I didn't really see what the point of it was.  The showroom theater aka the Savoy theater was fairly big.  There were only a few bad seats in the house (mainly ones with poles in front of them).  Great acoustics as well.  The sports deck was awesome.  Inline skating, rock climbing, basketball, golf, ping pong, and a few other sports were offered.  I got plenty of exercise here.  Studio B (the ice skating rink) was nice looking.  Fun music was played here as you got to ice skate around.  The Lotus Lounge looked like the perfect karaoke bar.  Very comfy as well.  One more place I'd like to suggest you see is the gym.  It is huge for a cruise ship.  I'm sure there will be no waiting for machines because there are so many.  There are a lot of other locations on this ship but I only wanted to mentioned the ones I visited.  I liked the color schemes on the ship and the ship seemed to be in good upkeep.  Suggestion: go all way to the front of the ship at night and sit down at least once at night.  It's a beautiful view.  Not many ships allow passengers to go all the way to the front.

Entertainment:  The shows were great.  My suggestions:
1) The ice show: You've probably already heard about how good it is but you have to see it to really understand just how good it is.  It's emotional, magestic, and funny all in one.  You feel like you're in the show.
2) Love and marriage: This is basically like the Newlywed game.  But the three couples they picked for this show were the most popular people onboard once the show was over.  The cruise director Ken (who was on loan from the Oasis of the Seas) is simply hilarious.
3) The Quest: Let me start by saying this show is NOT for children but it is the most hilarious competition for adults that you will ever see.  I cannot tell you all about it because you have to see it for yourself but believe me... you'll be glad you went.
4) Tribute: We were fortunate enough to see a group called tribute sing Temptaion songs.  They were spectacular.
5) All other shows in the Savoy:  I mean the ones by the RC singers and dancers were okay.  Almost like Vegas shows.  Not bad at all.

Disembarking:  This process is well organized.  If you want to get off quickly, take your own bags.  We had too many so this was not an option.  But still, we had plenty of time to eat breakfast and then depart when they called our group down.  Going though customs was a breeze.  Finding our bags wasn't hard either.  Always a plus.

Overall:  This was a very fun ship to be on.  Really, even if we never left the ship I would have enjoyed this cruise.  This ship has so much to do that you would really have to be a boring person to not enjoy yourself.  I mean that.  Ken Rush, the cruise director, and his team made sure you were having plenty of fun throughout the day and the night were even more fun.  As far as the ports went, I've never been to funner places in my life.  Will I go again.... definitely.  I'm already planning for next year but we're trying to decide between waiting for the Oasis of the Seas or just cruising on the Mariner again.  You'll find out our choice soon enough.  Enjoy folks! Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas 7586

Our cabin was kinda small compared to what I was expecting.  I now see how they fit so many people on this ship.  The shower was extremely small for my tastes even though the bathroom was average size.  These are the only negatives about the room.  The balcony was large enough to sit and eat on but don't expect to do much else on it.  It's about the size of a closet.  I still loved the room though.  I spent so much time doing other things on the boat that I was only in the room to sleep and change clothes.

We chose to book our excusions online (not using RCCL) because we wanted to go Ziplining at Wild Canyon Ekopark. I have no idea why RCCL doesn't offer this as an excusion option. It has the best ziplines on the face of the earth. Some over 1000 feet in the air. Others over half a mile long. My advice... don't look down. Actually, I'm afraid of heights but I really didn't feel afraid on these lines. The people there assured my safety and my wife and I had fun. You are given the option to purchase a picture CD when this is over. I wanted to go again. Note: there is a lot of hiking involved so if you can't walk at least a mile then this isn't an adventure for you. It was over 100 degrees so they provided plenty of free water for us. That was a plus. You'll see a lot of wildlife as well. I was so high up there I noticed birds flying underneath me. That was crazy. I used http://www.cabosanlucastours.net to book this. It was well worth the savings.

Other Cabo stuff: My wife and I also got to take a pic with a baby lion. That was the highlight of Cabo for her. She simply loves cats. I'll try to post the pics if I can.

I did not like all the agressive salespeople though. You'll see what I'm talking about when you first step off the ship. A lot of them are yelling in your ear for you to buy their tours or food or wares. It actually turns me away. I would shop with them if they weren't so aggressive. Fortunately, there were police there to make sure they didn't get too aggressive.

This port has the most beautiful beaches in Mexico. First of all it was 90+ degrees and the water was extremely warm. We did a jet boat tour (http://mazatlantours.net). Afterwards we road to the El Cid motel and used their private beach. Cruise pasengers are allowed to do this. It's a very clean beach. We went to the sports center where we had reservations to rent Waverunners and do a banana boat ride. It was the first time we used waverunners so that was fun. I loved jumping them over waves. The banana boat ride was fun but expect to get a lot of saltwater in your eyes and mouth. We all fell off twice. I was the only male on the boat so I had to help everbody back on. Oh. I forgot to mention Between using the waverunners and riding the jetboats... my wife and I swim a little in the warm beach waters. The waves were awesome. I'm not really a beach person so the force of the water surprised me.

Mazatlan, overall, was the most beautiful of all the ports. I wish I did a city tour but we'll do one next time. I really just wanted to relax on the beaches that I heard so much about.

Read 289 Mazatlan Reviews

Puerto Vallarta kind of looked like another American city. It was really busy. My wife and I booked a Royal Dolphin Swim online (again RCCL did not offer the ROYAL dolphin swim so we booked directly from the Sea Life Waterpark's website. Important: The park is located in Nuevo Vallarta (a neighboring city) so you have to travel about 15-20 minutes to get there. DO NOT TAKE A TAXI. We learned this the wrong way. I was charged $30 to travel there by taxi. I wish they had a shuttle. Fortunately the people in the park were nice enough to tell us about the ATM buses that run about every 15 minutes. They cost only $1 per person. Hmmmm... $1 or $30? Not a hard choice. I would have been able to afford the CD from my Royal Dolphin Swim if I had not paid for the taxi. Live and learn right?

We did the Royal Dolphin Swim which included a foot push by the dolphins, a dorsal fin tow and plenty of play time with them. They are really gentle giants and we did get quite a few photos with them. The people who booked through RC were wondering how we got to do all those things with the dolphins. I told them we purchased the Royal swim which was only about $20 more per person than they paid. Well worth the price.

We also got to swim with sea lions as a second excursion. Again we booked this directly from their website. Side note... don't believe the hype that space is limited. The people in the park want your money so they'll find a way to let you book a slot. As a matter a fact, my wife and I only had one other person with us during out dolphin swim and we were the only ones that morning who did the sea lion swim. I'm sure it was busier later but if you go early, you'll have plenty of room and time with the animals. We also swam in the park's pools which were very nice. We wanted to stay to watch the shows but we were very worn down from our excursions on previous days. So we returned to the Mariner. We showered and ate. I had to sleep but my wife departed the ship to get a few pictures of the beaches. She did and then rejoined me in the room.