Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by specialedmom: Splendid time on Carnival Splendor!

specialedmom
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Splendid time on Carnival Splendor!

Sail Date: July 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Embarkation: Was very easy. We live in in Southern California, so we only drove 45 minutes to get to the Port of Long Beach.  The terminal was easy to find.  We parked, dropped off our bags and went into the embarkation area.  There were a lot of people boarding, so it took about 30-45 minutes to get on the ship.

The Ship: Like other reviews stated, the decor of the ship was very pink.  However, the color scheme did not bother me.  My 12 year old, however, thought it was a little gaudy. He has been on a Celebrity ship and thought it was more classy. Anyway, the ship is very large.  It took me a few days to learn my way around the ship.  As mentioned in previous reviews, it was a little difficult getting to some areas. Some floors do not go all the way through, so we found ourselves either going up a floor or down a floor to get to where we wanted to go.  The ship is very clean and looks brand new.

Cabin: We booked last More minute (4 days before the cruise), so all that was left were inside cabins with 2 beds, so we booked two cabins.  We traveled with 2 adults and 2 teenagers.  The cabins were very comfortable and surprisingly spacious.  There was plenty of closet space.  There were also great robes to enjoy.  I thought the beds were very comfortable.  Our cabin steward was excellent and did a wonderful job of always keeping our room clean.  My son loved returning to the cabin each night to see the towel animals.

Food: The food was excellent! We usually had a continental breakfast in our cabin each morning.  My son loved the cereals, danish, and even the lox and bagels.  The room service was 24 hours a day and had a good selection to choose from.  We loved the 24 hour pizza and ice cream.  The pizza was excellent.  We ate lunch each day in the Spendido Lido Buffet.  There was a huge variety to choose from.  There was a wok station, burrito bar, dessert station, and hot and cold food, as well as, a salad bar.  Outside there was also a grill which served the best chili dogs! We also enjoyed the sushi bar and tapas bar in the evening before dinner. We bought a Fountain Card for sodas and thought we got our moneys worth.

Spa: If you have a chance, buy the week long pass to the spa.  My husband and I love to relax at spas, and this ship has a killer spa!  The thalassotherapy pool was awesome!  The steam rooms and saunas were also great. My husband actually feel asleep in the relaxation room for an hour. If you can get one of the spa rooms, that would be even better.

All in all we had a wonderful time.  I would definitely cruise on this ship again.  I am hoping to go on the Carnival Dream next year. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Verandah 8299

#8299, #8275 Cabins were mid-ship. Rooms were very quiet.  There was a lot of closet space and hangers.  Plenty of room for everything.

Cabo San Lucas: We have been there before so we just went off the ship and bought a few souvenirs. You can walk around the Marina and shop or have lunch. It was really hot so we shopped for a while, then went back on board.

Mazatlan: Took a small water taxi to Stone Island. Only cost us $2 round trip per person! We had a wonderful time! They had banana boat rides and ATV rentals. My son got to drive an ATV (he is only 12, but my husband was with him). It cost only $25 for 30 minutes or $35 for an hour. Had lunch at Leyti's. If you have lunch there you can use their boogie boards, beach chairs, and showers. The fish and shrimp we had for lunch were really fresh and delicious. The prices were very reasonable.

Read 292 Mazatlan Reviews

Puerto Vallarta: We rented a jeep on our own. There are 2 car rental agency booths right when you get off the ship. It only cost us $65 for a full day with insurance and unlimited miles. We drove to Punta Mita and had lunch at the Four Seasons. It was beautiful and they had wonderful food. We then drove to where they do the zipline tours in the jungle and went four wheeling. It was a really fun and wild ride!