Carnival Glory Cruise Review by cooltch: 2nd cruise in 4 months...wasn't disappointed

cooltch
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

2nd cruise in 4 months...wasn't disappointed

Sail Date: July 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We cruised on the Carnival Glory in April on Spring Break with a group; and had a blast.  We had so much fun...when planning a summer vacation...and taking up on an offer from my mom for a "Christmas Present" of a vacation cruise... we decided Carnival was the way to go again.  We chose the Glory because of the itinerary and the experience we'd had in April.  We were not disappointed.

Honestly, we had BETTER dining staff this time...in the Golden dining room...with Marco (bar staff), Agung (Waiter) and Risaine (waitress).  They were superb!.  Our cabins on the Lido deck...side by side balcony cabins...we had the steward open up the balcony divider for us... and we had a grand time!

All over the staff greeted us by name.    Honestly...  it WAS more crowded this trip.  And my complaints would be more with the other guests...and their children... we had an 8 year old with us...who was relatively More well mannered.  My husband and I are both in education...and I we deal with kiddos most of the year... well...  there were some pretty rude kids on the ship (as were their parents).  On spring break (where I expected some rowdiness)...not so much.

But...as for Carnival...we were very pleased.  Our daughter took part in Camp Carnival a couple of the days and LOVED it.  We were very pleased with the staff, the activities and the security (that's the overprotective parents and educators in us :).

The ship was very clean.  Yes..it's going into dry dock in January... and that will do her well.  But...you know the ship looks great.

The ports were fine.  We LOVE St. Maartan.  Take the snorkeling tour on the Golden Eagle...it was great.
St. Thomas...we weren't with it...and waited too long to book a trip...and ended up with the all inclusive island tour.  It got us to Maegan's Bay (we wanted a beach)...but we had to stop at A LOT of road side stands (I think buddies of the tour guide). Maegan's Bay IS beautiful.  Next time, though... I think we'll go to St. John's.  Blackbeard's Castle wasn't too much too look at for us either.

Food...it was really good.  You have to know what to order (not the flat iron steak).  Otherwise...it's decent.  We were pleased.

I was NOT pleased with embarkation this time.  It was more chaotic.  There were medical questionnaires to complete...due to swine flu concerns.  I didn't have a problem completing those.  But...i think it could've been handled more efficiently.  The  port staff wasn't as pleasant as i remembered in April.

Debarkation  was MUCH smoother.  We did self assist again (and we packed A LOT smarter...fewer clothes and used the self laundry on ship). BUT  the Glory staff now encouraged people to go wait in larger areas like the Amber palace, etc...and we went early... skipped breakfast (although my daughter and mom got room service early that morning...very smart) and got down elevators.  We were off the ship by 8:30.  It was awesome!

I have to give kudos to Ryan the cruise director...he was great as well.

We'll choose Carnival again...maybe the Glory. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Our stop was from 8:30 to 2P. Unless you take a tour...there's not much to do right now. The straw market is still being re-built. The temporary one is very crowded and the items there are not that great.

The stores in town are okay to look at... but items are overpriced. If you are in the market for jewelry i guess you are in the right place, but stick to the cruise recommended shops.

The cruise tours are pretty expensive for such a short stop in a port. I'd stay on the ship...and save my money.

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

St. Maarten continues to be my favorite Caribbean island! Didn't make it to the French side...yet! But did another snorkeling tour...on Golden Eagle...that included a stop on a beach. That was fun. The snorkeling was just so/so in terms of seeing fish...we were with a large group...but I was just glad to get out on the incredible blue water. It's pristine. I will ALWAYS trip to find a cruise itinerary with St. Maarten. The people are great there.

This is my 3rd time to St. Thomas,2nd time with Carnival. We did island tour...and went to Maegan's Bay. Nice Beach. You need to move away from the crowd... but it's nice to have concessions (including a bar) and the food wasn't bad. Water was beautiful. Unfortunately our tour included WAY too many stops of road side stands where there was junk to buy. However...there were some scenic stops and I got some great pictures. I didn't find the shopping too great. I'm not in the market for jewelry on my cruise vacations. Also...Blackbeard's Castle wasn't my thing either. Hit one of the beaches!

Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews