Fun onshore experiences, excellent food, and great daily on-board entertainment: Avalon Tranquility II Cruise Review by janicepaddock

Avalon Tranquility II 4
janicepaddock
Member Since 2017

Overall Member Rating

Fun onshore experiences, excellent food, and great daily on-board entertainment

Sail Date: December 2016
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Budapest
I chose this particular cruise because at the time I booked it, it was the only two-week river cruise over the Christmas and New Year's holidays in that part of Europe.

The ship was beautiful and the cruise was wonderful. The tours were interesting and enlightening and covered a lot of areas, some by bus and some on foot, including quaint medieval villages, wonderful cities and beautiful countryside. The food and service in the dining room were exceptional, and the on-board entertainment was, with a couple of exceptions, outstanding. One disappointment was the extremely loud (huge amplifiers in a very small space) rock band on New Year's Eve. The majority of the passengers were an older generation and didn't appreciate the ear-splitting music. A small percentage of the younger passengers enjoyed it, as did the crew, who were allowed to party with the passengers that night. But, most passengers gave up and went to their cabins early.

My cabin was on the lowest More deck and only had high windows as most of the cabin was below the water line. But, it was roomy, well designed, and very comfortable with plenty of storage. Unfortunately, I had a problem with only cool air flowing from my heat vent. There was a simple dial for temperature and a switch for the fan. And, according to other passengers, they were using those controls the same way I was. However, after being moved to a different cabin and still having cold air blowing out of the vent, I was more or less told that I was the problem, not the heating system, and I was instructed not to touch the controls. So, in my case, the "separate heating and cooling controls for each cabin" as shown in Avalon's brochure were useless.

Because of low water level as we entered the Rhine, the passengers had to be bused to a point farther down river. However, we all knew this was a possibility beforehand, so we just accepted the reality and enjoyed the bus ride along the river.

Transportation to and from the ship and airport was included in my cruise package. Unfortunately, Avalon did not schedule sufficient time between the time I was transported to the airport and my flight time. Schipohl is a very busy airport, lines for baggage check were extremely long and, by the time I made it to the counter, my flight gate had been closed, no other flights were available, and I was forced to find a hotel room in Amsterdam and get a flight the next day. Unfortunately, I lost out on my direct, non-stop flight home, plus the upgraded seat I had originally paid for. Avalon needs to adjust the transport time to assure that passengers are at the airport for the time necessary to catch their flights. Less

Published 01/21/17
1 Helpful Vote
Ask a Question
Have a Cruise Question?
Post it here and get answers from Cruise Critic members.

Cabin review: E112 Outside Stateroom with Window

Was moved from one stateroom room to another due to cold air blowing from vent in first room. Same thing happened in second room. The ship's manager made me feel that I was the problem -- not the heating system. It wasn't a good experience.

Read All Outside Stateroom with Window (E) Reviews >>
janicepaddock
Member Since 2017
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X