Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by MD_Dan

Cruise Date: June 2009
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: N
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Alaska - a trip to a land that time forgot

Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas

The embarkation/debarkation process was very smooth at both ends.  The hardest part of the embarkation was dealing with the luggage while keeping track of your paperwork.  But the lines were short and the process was well managed!

I would highly suggest opting for the express departure from the ship.  It means you have to carry (or roll) all your luggage yourself but it saves you time (and money) avoiding the congestion.  The ramps are not steep and did not present a problem.  We were docked at 7AM.  Express departure was only from 7:15 AM to 7:45 AM.  It was very quick.  We were back in our hotel room by 8AM!  I understand that the exit for Pier 91 gets very congested as the bulk of the passengers are leaving.  You have to be off the ship by 10AM anyway.  One factor I didn't consider is that our cruise ended on a federal holiday (Friday of 4the of July weekend).  Maybe the much lighter Friday morning traffic was the reason for our easy exit.

I understand now why this ship has such a loyal clientele.   Here are a few things that we enjoyed most:

-                      Dinner at the Edelweiss (much preferred over the WindJammer's buffet).

-                      Enjoying made-to-order omelets for breakfast at the Windjammer.

-                      Views from the WindJammer to the front of the ship.

-                      All the entertainment was top-notch - especially the evening shows.

-                      Relaxing in the hot-tubs - especially the ones in the Solarium.

-                      Running on the treadmill with a view from the back of the ship.

-                      Climbing the rock climbing wall.

-                      The ability (albeit expensive) to get to the internet and read email.

-                      Munching far too many soft-serve ice cream cones between meals.

-                      Meeting people whose friendship will last longer than the duration of the cruise.

-                      The informative discussions about the bridge crew and cruise destinations.

-                      The opportunity for quiet activities like reading or working a puzzle.

The service on Rhapsody was amazing.  I've never felt so pampered.  There were always smiling faces and a greeting from the hostess upon entering the WindJammer in the morning.  And when servers told us that it was their "pleasure" (to serve us), I appreciated them even more for their professionalism.  Once I attempted to clean a food mess in the WindJammer .  I was stopped and was told, "It's not your problem."  They treated the passengers like royalty.

This is only my second cruise and I don't know if it is common or not - but there was a very low frequency vibration from the engines that was felt from the floor.  You barely noticed it when on carpet.  The amazing 6-story sculpture in the center atrium (called "Diadem") was suspended by long cables.  I noticed that this engine movement created a slight sympathetic vibration in these cables.  It wasn't a safety issue.  I just found it interesting that even the sculpture was tuned somewhat to this vibration.

"The Quest" was off-the-hook hilarious.  The "Love and Marriage" game (like the old "Newlywed Game") was funny.  We also enjoyed the trivia games.  Keith and Frankie were wonderful cruise directors.

I wish we had chosen "My-Time-Dining" as many of our friends were on the opposite dining schedule.  Because of entertainment scheduling conflicts, we ate several meals off the main menu but served in our cabin.  All the food looked absolutely delicious but I can't remember a meal that achieved that high mark in taste.  I loved the Indian food as a vegetarian option.

Tracy Arm Fjord and Sawyer Glacier

We were redirected to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.  I was disappointed.  Maybe it was because the very gray morning mist muted much of the color.  Maybe it was because I was excited by the lecture onboard about the Tracy Arm Fjord.  Or maybe it was because I woke up at 4:50 AM to see it.  I don't know - maybe it was all of the above reasons.

Conclusion

It was our first Royal Caribbean cruise.  We enjoyed it so much that we committed a deposit on another RCI cruise in the future.  And I would not hesitate to cruise on the Rhapsody again!

It was our first trip to Alaska.  I guarantee it won't be our last!

Publication Date: 07/10/09