Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by snowbird53

Member Name: snowbird53
Cruise Date: April 2009
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: MB
See More About: Norwegian Pearl Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

The Pearl gave us a Jewel of a time!!!

This was our first cruise ever, so we started on this adventure with very little  expectations. I was just hoping that I would not get sea sick. My husband and I are in our mid 50's and were looking forward to our cruise thru the panama canal.
We embarked in Miami, it went quickly and we were on board ship in less than 1/2 an hour. We were able to explore around the ship then  go to our cabin.

Our cabin was larger than I expected it would be, we had a mini-suite with a balcony. The bathroom was large and had a tub which I did not expect. It was clean, the decor was bright and festive.

we went to the aft of the ship to the buffet and sat outside. We ate  at the grill enjoying the sunset as we pulled away from Miami and started our cruise. The food was good and the service was great. From the time we got on the ship and were greeted with champagne, all the staff were smiling and friendly.

The next 2 days we would be at sea on our way to Columbia. The sea was  calm, we kept busy every day at sea. We used this time to visit the Spa. That was very relaxing. I never thought I would be able to talk my husband into a facial, shave and massage, but he loved it. I had a facial and accupunture which took away the arthritis pain I was feeling in my hand. Yeah!!

More on the shore excursions we took at the ports later in the review. Some of the activities we enjoyed was playing bingo in the Spinnaker lounge, going to the art auctions, listening to the lectures they had  on art, the history of the ports we would be visiting were all very informative.

There were also many other activities going on from WII tournaments to golfing to Trivia contests. In the evening were the shows in the theatre. I think we saw all of them and we were never disappointed. Second city was very funny and then the next night they  were in the Spinnaker lounge entertaining us.

Our cabin boys, Theo and Tio ( I am not sure I have the spelling of their names correct) but they were wonderfull!! our cabin was always clean and we had towel animals every night for 14 nights!! And they always had big smiles:)

Puenta Arenas, Costa Rica. We went on the coffee plantation tour. Our tour guide was Rudolfo. He was very knowledgeable. He could tell us the names of the flowers and the trees. He could tell us about the economy of costa rica. He answered all of our questions. He was very proud of his country as he should be. No wonder AOL recently said that Costa Rica was voted as the happiest country in the world!! Rudolfo was very patient to talk to us and answer all of our questions all the way up to the coffee plantation and then on the way back. He even said if you all want me to be quiet just say so, but we just kept asking him questions. One older guy on our tour at one point started saying that costa rica are just communists and you are expousing their views. Then other people on the bus started yelling no, no. He is just answering questions we are asking. Of course this old guy had to be an American, no wonder other countries think Americans are rude and judgemental. Rudolfo appologized profusely to this man but of course this guy did not accept his appology and continued complaining. But we didn't let this guys rude behavior ruin our trip. We all had a great and informative time. We also got to stop and eat at a restaurant in Costa Rica. The coffee plantation was very interesting, it was a plantation that sends its beans to Starbucks. Most of the coffee growers there are women. Had the chance to sample and buy some of the coffee. It was very good!! would highly reccomend this excursion and hope that you have Rudolfo as a guide.

Guatamala, on this trip we did a walking tour ourselves. we got off the ship and there is shopping right off the pier. It was very hot and humid that day so we walked around bought some souveniers and found the people there friendly. Next time we will take an excoursion so we can see more of the country.

hueltaco,Mexico- this is a small village that has a nice beach with shops right off the pier. We walked around the town and sat on the beach.We bought souveniers, enjoyed the scenery and the cool breeze off the ocean.

Publication Date: 07/07/09