Emerald Princess Cruise Review by rbtkua

Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: In
Cabin Number: A512
See More About: Emerald Princess Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Emerald Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Emerald Princess Deck Plans
First time Cruiser went to the Baltic
A bit of background, my wife and I are in our mid 30s and have traveled on our own around Europe in the past. We wanted to see the Baltic region but it didn't seem realistic on our own so we looked for a company that would allow us to see St. Petersburg and also was not greater than two weeks. Our top priority is to see sites, so an aggressive itinerary with the least time at sea was preferred.

Embarkation was painless when we arrived. Princess didn't provide us the location of our departure. On our paperwork, that section was left blank. It wasn't a big deal as most in Copenhagen knew of our ship. Taking a taxi is recommended and not expensive. Public transportation was not realistic. Check-in was fairly quick as we arrived about an hour and half after the published start.

When we first saw the ship, it seemed immense, but by the end of the cruise seemed to be what we needed. The ship was in great condition and the we had an interior cabin which was set up with a queen bed. Now these beds were two twins together but you couldn't tell. We walked around to get our bearings together and found that it was very nice. Now I am quite tall at 6' 6" so the ceiling made it pretty tight with just enough space that I didn't have to hunch over while on the ship.

They were promoting a soft-drink card for unlimited drinks while on the ship. I had read previous reviews about this and took the offer. I found the older reviews to be wrong as the card was easy to use on the ship and the staff always asked if you had it when trying to get a soft-drink.

Now the staff works like dogs on the ship, and even though they say that there are over 1,000 staff onboard, you may question if it is enough. One area where the service was poor was in the buffet sections of the ship. They had adequate staffing for pushing alcohol, water for shore excursions, and cleaning off tables, but trying to get a drink was a long wait. One of the last mornings, I had three people try to sell me water for the upcoming port but only one person pouring coffee.

Also, passenger services was always busy! If you called, there were times they wouldn't answer the phone. Fortunately I didn't need them often.

This cruise offered two formal nights. My wife and I have no interest in getting dressed up for vacation as we spend our work days like that all the time. That said, we had no problem eating in the buffet area and many also did as well. In case others are like us, you will have somewhere to go on those nights.

Our cabin attendant also worked hard. Not sure how much time they get, but he needed some patience. The first night on the ship, my wife was changing and he knocked and proceeded to open the door. She jumped out of view, but you would think you would wait and see if you got a response before just entering. It was a one-time event, but the ladies should remember to deadbolt the door if you are changing.

One of the reasons we chose the interior cabin was because I have a hard time sleeping with light. I heard from others that I made the right call. Remember on the Baltic in summer that the sun is up much of the night. Some guests mentioned that they were trying to find ways to block to light.

Publication Date: 07/06/09