Norwegian Star Cruise Review by nato3009

Member Name: nato3009
Cruise Date: June 2009
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

NCL STAR Never Again
I just finished my cruise from Seattle to Alaska and back on the NCL Star. To keep the review short, I will NEVER EVER do a cruise with NCL EVER AGAIN!!!! This was my 1st cruise. The advertisements about "free style cruising" seem very attractive to young adults, like myself and my wife. The advertisement spoke of fine dining, relax atmosphere, and romantic nights. All I can say is that, all the advertisement was Bull, which, by the way describes the food on this cruise. It is so bad, that I would not feed it to my dog!!!

To put NCL Star's food into perspective, I would like to compare it to Las Vegas. If you've been to Vegas, you've seen buffets from $5.99-$39.99. Let's say that NCL's food was worse than the $5.99 buffet. First off, the Aqua and Versaille "restaurant" share the same kitchen. Though our first 2 nights were good, the rest of the meals were horrible. Everything tasted of frozen food piled on with salt. Chicken was dried. Lamb had no taste. Fish tasted rancid. Eggs were always overcooked, and to top it all up, you have to wait inline and in many instances, wait 1hr before being served your shitty meal. This describes the "restaurants" of Aqua and Versailles on the boat. Though both have great decor, the food is just plain BAD!!! One bright point is that the deserts were always good to very good. So hats off to the pastry chef, and the toilet bowl for the rest.

As for the buffet, all I can say is that the Aqua and Versaille, as terrible as they were, seem like gourmet food compare to the garbage that they serve here. Absolutely NOTHING was good here, EVER. If you like fried frozen dinner for food, this is the place for you. The Blue Lagoon, likewise, was not any better.

The fancy restaurants of Le Bistro and Soho were much better. These restaurants require $15-$25 surcharge, and the food is generally pretty good. For the price, it is worth the value. Service tended to be good and fast, and you avoid the crowds. Unfortunately, they don't open for breakfast and lunch (I think). Still after forking over $1000 for the cruise per person, paying even more for dinner just doesn't seem right. I would have gladly paid $150 on another cruiseline for hassle free cruise experience.

Overall, if you're FIVE (age), FIFTY-FIVE (age), or Family, then you might find this cruise bearable. I mean, I am assuming that food at nursing homes and cafeteria food at school may seem comparable to NCL Star's food. BTW ages 5 and 55 dominate this NCL Star cruise to Alaska. If you're in your 30s, you'll definitely feel out of place, and NCL does nothing to make you feel comfortable. If you enjoy decent to good food for your cruise, you should stay away from the NCL Star.

Publication Date: 07/06/09