Not a Cruise Person: Carnival Pride Cruise Review by JulieF

Not a Cruise Person

Sail Date: December 2016
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore
Christmas cruise for myself and 17-year-old son - paid for Faster to the Fun, a complete waste, did not get on ship until almost 1pm. Room was open and not vacuumed. Went to lunch and returned, room had been vacuumed. Later that evening I was in the bathroom (sitting in the bathroom, if you know what I mean), assistant cabin boy walked in the cabin without knocking and proceeded to walk INTO THE BATHROOM without knocking. That set the tone for the entire cruise. I had to keep the DND sign on the door for the remainder of the cruise if I was in the cabin. I was over charged for a bottle of wine, had to argue with staff for a long time after being on hold for 45 minutes just to talk to someone. Turns out the advertised price was incorrect.

FOOD: Fraught with mediocrity on the buffet, selection was not varied enough from day-today. Normandie restaurant - food was better, but the first night the staff were rude. "Tea" served on two afternoons in Normandie More restaurant - staff were unprepared, and only Lipton tea was served - if you wanted another brand of tea you were charged extra, ridiculous. Normandie restaurant on last night of cruise - we waited and waited before anyone took notice that we had been seated. After that our server was nice but only for extra tips and only addressed my son by name, not me. Oh and get bottled water, the water on the ship is gross, and they charge you $3.75 for a bottle of water in the cabin.

STAFF: 85% of the staff were rude or indifferent. When I was addressed by name it was by my first name. I personally did not like this. Don't call me by my first name, I'm not your friend. I realize this sounds picky, but if you're working for me don't address me by my first name. Also noticed that cash was missing from my bag after my son surprised staff in our cabin. USE THE CABIN SAFE ALWAYS. Most of the staff seemed pissed that they had to work on Christmas.

SHIP: Tacky decor, but I knew what it was going to be like. Ship needs to be remodeled again already. Paint peeling on interior, etc. MUSIC EVERYWHERE WAS LOUD AND INESCAPABLE, which meant that it did not matter the genre of music played, it all sounded bad. Fake art everywhere would lead you to believe that they would try a little harder to splash a little culture here and there and maybe play some classical music SOMEWHERE on the ship. The only place I could get peace and listen to the water which was why I was on a BOAT in the first place was on my balcony, which is where I ended up spending a lot of my time. Many of my fellow passengers were rude and seemed to be unfamiliar with manners especially when it came to buffet lines.

CABIN: 7215, very pleasant room, large balcony, nice view, decent shower and surprisingly good storage. The two of us were very comfortable there and the room was clean.

PORTS: Nassau was okay if you booked an excursion, but I got tired of the harassing vendors in town and the town itself is filthy. Freeport was absurd. A few tacky vendors set up right outside the ship, no where to walk to look at the beautiful water. (If you go to Freeport book an excursion so you can actually see the island of Grand Bahama.) Some guy tried to sell my son pot. After that I just went back to the ship. Charleston was nice even though cold and rainy. If you want to see the Bahamas, don't go via cruise.

EXCURSIONS: Too expensive, the one we did was a private island afternoon in Nassau, boat ride was nice, but a drunk passenger on the way back obnoxiously harassed everyone including my son. The island itself was okay, but again there was the loud as hell music - some DJ playing pop music right behind all the chairs on the beach - couldn't get away from it. Beach was crowded, dolphins were in little pens (depressing). I only felt sorry for them and was tempted to free them. And they charge a HUGE amount of money to "swim" with them. Disgraceful. Excursion included lunch which was tasty, but a good thing it was included because I wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise (small Styrofoam container of chicken and rice and salad for $20).

The only good thing about this cruise was the peace I experienced on my balcony listening to the water splashing on the side of the ship, which is really the reason I booked the cruise in the first place. But paying almost $3000 just for this is a bit excessive. My son made some friends, which was nice, but this is not a commentary on the cruise itself.

We have determined that we're not "Cruise People". Thanks, Carnival. Less

Published 01/11/17
1 Helpful Vote

Cabin review: 8K7215 Extended Balcony

Read All Extended Balcony (8K) Reviews >>

Charleston is a lovely city.

A few touristy vendors right off boat, one of whom tried to sell my son pot, no view of the water.
Read 1151 Freeport Reviews

Member Since 2017
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X