Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by ohiosailaway: Go ahead, book it, it's so worth it!!!!

ohiosailaway
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Go ahead, book it, it's so worth it!!!!

Sail Date: June 2009
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

We (myself, husband, and two children: son, 15 and daughter, 12) just returned from a fabulous experience aboard the Celebrity Summit.  We had no problems (miracle in itself!) getting to Venice.  Boarding the ship went so smooth, we were in our cabin within minutes, without any waiting around time (we experienced that with other cruises).  Our ship was docked in Venice for 2 days which gave us an opportunity to have dinner in Venice (definitely do that, no matter how tired you may feel).
We enjoyed each port...it was our first time visiting all of these countries.  Our ports were Dubrovnik, Croatia ; Athens, Greece; Rome, Florence, Naples, Italy; Santorini, Greece; Nice, France; and ended up in Barcelona, Spain where we spent a couple of extra days.  The bonus of seeing all of these places on a cruise is that you get a good taste of the flavor of these areas.  The unfortunate part is you will hunger for more of some of the places, but that just More helps you with future planning ;).

Our kids were fully engaged, we were able to break up the tours with plenty of gelato, local entertaining, shopping and eating.  We booked most of our excursions through the ship, while expensive, they were worth the price of just leaving all the details up to them.  Their tour guides were very friendly, knowledgeable, local, and familiar with handling groups through crowded venues.
We did decide to hire private drivers in Athens and Naples.  There was just so much we wanted to pack into these areas, that we wanted to make up our own itinerary for those days and we were not sorry.  We hired George's Taxi Tours in Athens and had a wonderful, intelligent, sweet guide named Spiros.  He knew so much history, and he was able to tell us what was worth spending time at and what we should cut out.  I wanted to have a gyro, and try local specialties (he helped with proper pronunciation!) and he sent us to the best place in Athens, bustling with activity, not a rip off, complete with musicians!  Our tour guide in Naples, was Rino Ramono (roll those rrrr's).....just awesome!!!  He was hired through a wonderful service called Italy Car Service, headed by a kind woman named Josephine.  He entertained every whim we had, knew so much about each beautiful place, every great picture stop, the perfect restaurant...even where to find a particular soccer jersey my son wanted to find for a friend.  We loved him so much that we almost wanted to miss our ship and join his family for a "lovey barbecuer"  (his pronunciation and invitation!).

While on the ship we enjoyed dinner in a variety of ways.  Most nights we ate in the dining room at the late seating, 8:45p.m....sounds late (for us early bird Americans), but with the excursions, was not.  We were seated with a wonderful family...  many nights we were one of the last tables to leave the dining room. We loved having other options for dining though.  One night we were tired and just went to go to the always plentiful buffet.  Another night we "fine dined" at the Normandie Restaurant which was full of excellent service, great food choices, beautifully prepared.  Another night we ate at the waiter end of the "buffet" area, that offered a menu and closer views of the water.  There was an open deck that we were able to enjoy drinks at before dinner for the sail away....loved this area...just a few tables, more casual than fine dining, but cozier feel.

The entertainment was varied, which was great.  We enjoyed cabaret dancers a few nights, a beautiful talented violinist another night, a funny comedian/magician yet another.  There were plenty of opportunities to do group games (bingo, newlywed game, karoake, theme), but we chose not to.  Our kids could not get enough of the teen club.  They were seperated into appropriate age groups and couldn't wait until dinner was over to join their groups. The martini club had a very talented bar tender, Michael, that left us in awe of his special magical talents.  We all enjoyed the Cova Cafe for different reasons.  My husband loved the coffee offerings, my son  and daugter adored the incredible edibles (beautiful little desserts), and I loved the ambience and the string quartet that was there nightly.  I appreciated the fact that the ship did not pressure you to attend events with constant reminders of offerings.  They had a daily newsletter and complimented your intelligence by not making annoying announcements reiterating what was already in print.  The ship had interactive tv if you needed help with absolutely any information.  I enjoyed taking a couple of computer classes, and many other offerings were available, including just sitting by the pool, soaking in the sun, and reading a good book....yep, did that too.

Disembarking couldn't have been easier.  We were prepared to get up early, and sit around waiting to get off, but found ourself, out of our cabin and off the ship in 5 minutes....no that's not a typo, just a great port to disembark to, and great organization. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Hired a private driver, see review above. Our driver was our tour guide, trained as such, but not able to enter sites, but wasn't needed. He gave us all info that we wanted. Remember comfortable shoes, and bring water with you. Get up early for the main attractions, it's worth it, everything gets very crowded. The city of Athens would get a rating of 3, but our driver was so great I gave the port a 5.

My husband said as we entered the walled city of Dubrovnik, 'well Disney must have been here', because it looked so much like a fairy tale, but of course has been there long before Walt was born!! Such a surprise port for us, don't miss it, just beautiful. Had a ship excursion tour of Dubrovnik and a coastal town with really wonderful local people. I commented on a great looking dish at a table near ours at a lovely restaurant we visited by the water, and when I returned from the restroom, a small bowl was at my place, with a sampling!

We made the obligatory stop at Pisa, for the picture...kids loved this part, but quickly left there to visit the shopping meca of Florence. You could shop for days here, but enjoy the art and scenery too! Wished we had more time there.

(5.5)
I texted a dear friend from home here telling her to sell her house and the kids just to visit this magical port! The drive on the Amalfi Coast is just breathtaking. The towns of Sorrento and Positano are enchanting and inviting, I could easily spend a month here. This port is tied with Santorini Greece for my favorite spot. See review of our driver, he made all the right decisions for us.

Read 647 Naples Reviews

I almost feel guilty, because I'm Catholic (I know it's mandatory to feel guilty) for giving this port a 4, but it disappointed me. I was expecting this huge Catholic moment, visiting The Vatican, but found it too touristy, without enough area for devotion and respect. Perhaps it was because of the time limit. I thought the area confusing, we rushed so much to get in all the important sites, fumbling and bumbling through various piazzas. I was in awe of the venues, the statues, the stories, the history.

Enjoyed dining at night while ship was docked in Venice, the pretty lighting of the city...so charming and romantic...awesome food too! Went on ship excursion next day: great ride in gondola, which you HAVE to do while in Venice and a tour of Murano glass factory which was just okay...very expensive to buy there....wait for more opportunities in other ports if you really want Murano glass.

Read 510 Venice Reviews