Kid friendly: MSC Splendida Cruise Review by Swale

Kid friendly

Sail Date: December 2016
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona
We chose this cruise as it fitted in with our annual vacation over the Christmas period and even though the weather was not great, we thought it would be good first-time cruise experience.

Embarkation/disembarkation was fairly painless and that applied to the onshore excursions too. Our cabin attendant, who was a pleasure to deal with, told us that we were the only couple on deck 5 with no children as we did ask about the banging going on from both sides at odd hours. Had we known the amount of children onboard, I doubt we would have gone on the cruise. Not meaning to sound like the grinch, but kids are allowed into all areas, which my wife and I both found unusual. From the various bars to the cigar room (active smoking) they were everywhere, even inside the casino.

The ship itself is incredible, the rooms were spacious and by and large the staff were pleasant. What did niggle me was when ordering a drink at a bar, a waiter would leap towards you to process the order More as opposed to the barman doing it, as it would show towards their (the waiters') work-rate. There were only a few waiters who operated like this but it should not happen.

I had read the online reviews about this ship before we went and it pretty much lived up to my expectations. It is an Italian cruise so English is in the minority, not that I have a problem with that as every day was a new adventure.

The food was plentiful and whether you dined at one of the many restaurants or went for the buffets, the food was good and the staff work incredibly hard to deliver a good service. We took the Bella/Allegrissimo package and would recommend it, especially if you enjoy coffee, a few cocktails and beer, it is well worth it.

We didn't miss not having wi-fi and when we did have to check mail, the library had a pay as you go option that did the trick for us. Don't expect normal speed, especially when you are at sea. Less

Published 01/10/17
Helpful? Thank Swale

Cabin review:

As this was where we embarked, the process did seem to take longer than it should as there were only a few members of staff dealing with the new arrivals.
Read 1687 Barcelona Reviews

Member Since 2017
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X