Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by sacetornc

Member Name: sacetornc
Cruise Date: June 2009
Embarkation: Civitavecchia
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
See More About: Legend of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Legend of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Legend of the Seas Deck Plans
12 night Italy/Croatia...very disappointed.
1.  No WIFI the whole cruise.  Internet worked sporadically in the internet lounge on their PC's.  Asked to speak to IT manager after several complaints and he never called us.  We basically carried our laptop from home for nothing.
2.  Laundry for $25/bag offered to us...clothes came back so wrinkled we couldn't wear them.
3. Pursar's desk was unfriendly and no help what so ever.  Actually the whole crew was the most unfriendly crew I have ever had.  Even the gift shop people were awful.  I wanted to buy an expensive watch that I had seen on the first day of the cruise.  I went back the next day and they said I couldn't buy it anymore.  It was only available one day.  They didn't offer that info to me otherwise I wouldn't have waited.
4. Shuttle service was NOT complimentary.  Each port (and there were 6) cost as much as $20 per person to use their shuttle.  You weren't allowed to walk off the pier on your own. TAXIS were expensive, and only some TAXIS were allowed on the pier.
The shuttle to disembark was free, and was so unbeleivably unorganized.  You had to carry all your luggage on the bus, and the drivers didn't help you load them.  The didn't stop at the same place each time either.  So if you were waiting on line in one area, and the bus stopped in another area, you were screwed.
5.  There are no electrical outlets near the beds.  Bring an extension cord for any medical devices...my mother in law needed one for her breathing machine, and they charged $25 which is OK, however they didn't have any available!!!!!

The ship is older, but well maintained.  Don't expect anything fancy.  The reason for booking this cruise are the ports you sail to.  Just be prepared for alot of extra money that Royal Caribbean doesn't tell you about.
If this was my very first cruise, I would think twice about ever cruising again.  I will give Royal Caribbean another chance, due to the fact that it was our 5th cruise with them and this is the first one that sucked.
I recommend booking your own private tours ahead of time.  Much better than the group tours, and cheaper.  Do your research before you go.

There is nothing to do in Citivitavecchia port.  We stayed in Rome 3 nights before the cruise in an apartment, which was cheaper than a hotel, and took a taxi to the port, which should only cost you about $140 Euro.  Some taxis were ripping people off charging $240 Euro.
Book the Vatican ahead of time on their website.  No waiting in line.  And the lines were LONG!
Used Rick Steve's tour book for the trip and learned ALOT of time saving tips.

Publication Date: 07/03/09
Read the Eastern Mediterranean ports review by sacetornc
More Legend of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Legend of the Seas review Read the next Legend of the Seas review

More Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews