Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by sacetornc: 12 night Italy/Croatia...very disappointed.

sacetornc
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

12 night Italy/Croatia...very disappointed.

Sail Date: June 2009
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

1.  No WIFI the whole cruise.  Internet worked sporadically in the internet lounge on their PC's.  Asked to speak to IT manager after several complaints and he never called us.  We basically carried our laptop from home for nothing.
2.  Laundry for $25/bag offered to us...clothes came back so wrinkled we couldn't wear them.
3. Pursar's desk was unfriendly and no help what so ever.  Actually the whole crew was the most unfriendly crew I have ever had.  Even the gift shop people were awful.  I wanted to buy an expensive watch that I had seen on the first day of the cruise.  I went back the next day and they said I couldn't buy it anymore.  It was only available one day.  They didn't offer that info to me otherwise I wouldn't have waited.
4. Shuttle service was NOT complimentary.  Each port (and there were 6) cost as much as $20 per person to use their shuttle.  You weren't allowed to walk off the More pier on your own. TAXIS were expensive, and only some TAXIS were allowed on the pier.
The shuttle to disembark was free, and was so unbeleivably unorganized.  You had to carry all your luggage on the bus, and the drivers didn't help you load them.  The didn't stop at the same place each time either.  So if you were waiting on line in one area, and the bus stopped in another area, you were screwed.
5.  There are no electrical outlets near the beds.  Bring an extension cord for any medical devices...my mother in law needed one for her breathing machine, and they charged $25 which is OK, however they didn't have any available!!!!!

The ship is older, but well maintained.  Don't expect anything fancy.  The reason for booking this cruise are the ports you sail to.  Just be prepared for alot of extra money that Royal Caribbean doesn't tell you about.
If this was my very first cruise, I would think twice about ever cruising again.  I will give Royal Caribbean another chance, due to the fact that it was our 5th cruise with them and this is the first one that sucked.
I recommend booking your own private tours ahead of time.  Much better than the group tours, and cheaper.  Do your research before you go.

There is nothing to do in Citivitavecchia port.  We stayed in Rome 3 nights before the cruise in an apartment, which was cheaper than a hotel, and took a taxi to the port, which should only cost you about $140 Euro.  Some taxis were ripping people off charging $240 Euro.
Book the Vatican ahead of time on their website.  No waiting in line.  And the lines were LONG!
Used Rick Steve's tour book for the trip and learned ALOT of time saving tips. Less

Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Legend of the Seas Review >>

The wall was beautiful to walk around the entire city. Again we had to take shuttle bus to get there. Wanted to go to Lokrum, or the beaches but it was rainy. Don't get much time at this port. 9am off the boat, 430pm last time to board.

The reason this port gets a 4 is because of their shuttle service. They have car rentals available on the pier. Even to get to the train station you need a shuttle. We had intended on taking the train, but we rented a car instead and drove to Pisa and Lucca. Get the GPS and you will be fine. We had a private tour pre booked for Florence. It was wonderful. I can highly recommend the company we used if anyone needs info. Only certain guides are allowed to drive into historic part of Florence. Make sure your tour can get access. We got dropped off in front of everything. Other tours had to walk far in the heat. Book your museum tickets ahead of time for Florence. Our tour driver booked ours and we didn't wait at all.

We didn't do Naples at all. Used a private tour again. Went to Pompeii (go on the early morning before it gets to hot and crowded). We hired a private tour guide through our driver and it was well worth it. Sorrento and the Amalfi coast was stunning. Wish we had spent more time there. Great pizza.

Read 652 Naples Reviews

Beautiful!!! No shuttle needed for this one. Had to use tenders, which were amazingly free. You have to book them ahead of time though. Can't just get on line. Have to get a number and a time to board the tender.

Again the reason Venice gets a 4 is because Royal Caribbean's water shuttle. It was expensive and there weren't good signs pointing us to the shuttle. Venice is very easy to navigate on your own. We took the vaporetto everywhere. Buy a 24 hour ticket and you can ride all day. Murano and Burano were beautiful. Great restaurant in Burano called Trattoria da Romana. Best food the whole trip. (Seafood risotto is their specialty)

Read 514 Venice Reviews