Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Diamond_Plus: The Freedom never gets old - even better from Port Canaveral

Diamond_Plus
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

The Freedom never gets old - even better from Port Canaveral

Sail Date: June 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This is our 4th time on the Freedom of the Seas but the first time sailing from Port Canaveral. We use to take the Mariner from there all the time ... and compared to Miami, Port Canaveral is a breeze.

I like the Sunday sailing although it sucks getting up for work Monday morning.

This is close to our 40th Cruise with Royal Caribbean ... and this vessel is the pride of the fleet.

It has everything to offer if you are looking for it ...

Food -  We sat in Leonardo's on deck 3  .. service was EXCELLENT .. food was ok to good. We especially enjoyed the new menu for lunch in the dining room. Nice change after so many years with a big variety of items. By the way, my in-laws were invited to have dinner with the Captain on the first formal night (they have over 50 cruises) but they don't like eating with the crew ! ;-)

We didn't do the My Time dining which I understand was excellent ... you have to pre-pay the gratuities and probable More will do it next time ... You don't sit with others passengers. We normally travel with extended family, not needing to meet new people.

Regretfully the food and service in Chops was terrible .. I mean really bad .. over cooked steaks, nasty waiters .. gone is the presentation of Steaks table side and the gushing wait staff. Now the service can barely speak English and ironically the Manager who is from the United States is unapproachable.
By the way, the prices for Chops went up from $20 to $25 per person (it's still $20 at Portofino which was excellent)

Entertainment - This vessel has THE BEST entertainment in the entire fleet ... Comedians, ABBA Tribute, Stage productions with current songs and Drew Thomas the illusionist.... all first class acts.

Room - We opted for the Grand Suite which was excellent .. our bed had a mildew smell which they changed the next day.

If you have a Grand Suite or higher you get to sit in reserved deck chairs by the pool which the deck attendants actually enforce. You also have the use of the concierge room on deck ten but I prefer the Diamond Lounge on deck 14.

We don't normally get off the ship as we've been to these ports so many times so I won't bother with a port review. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Grand Suite Deck 10 1286

Grand Suite - Cabin 1286 .. in the middle of the ship half way between the elevators deck 10 ... plenty of room .. worth the extra cost.