Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by meyers: Italy and Croatia
Member Since 2001
Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Europe - British Isles & Western Cruises
Italy and Croatia
Firstly, we had a great holiday. The crew and our fellow dinner guests were super. The ports fantastic. The entertainment really good.
BUT there are things you need to know and which, I'm sad to say, RCI don't seem to want you to know!
1. Any drinks other than straight coffee or tea, with your evening dinner, are charged!
2. BUS Transfers out of port ARE OPTIONAL. Every port has taxi's, buses, hire cars or trains for you to use, and at far less cost than the official transfer from the ship. Do it yourself by asking for the location of bus and train stations, they won't tell you if you don't ask. The locals are also VERY helpful. All transport seems to use ONE WAY tickets and there is no reduction for buying a RETURN. This gives you the flexibility to come and go as you please.
3. You can opt to pay the TIPS to your cabin attendant, waiter etc in envelopes supplied on the last evening of the More cruise. To do this just choose the CASH option when you book. Once you give your credit card details they will take the set amount (117) in US$, which is bad for us Europeans.
4. When you come to pay your final bill, the Purser's office only accept UD$ or a credit card. Euros have to be changed into US$ first! Again not so good for us.
5. Most of the complaints I heard were from people who hadn't done any research as to what to expect. More fool them.
Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Legend of the Seas Review >>
Port and Shore Excursions
Walk the walls early as they get very busy. Go up to the first street level on your left to eat a delicious lunch. Alternatively, stop half way around the walls and go down to a cafe overlooking the sea!
IF you want to see FLORENCE, then you can do it easily by direct train. My preference is LUCCA, a beautiful walled town, easily accessible travelling via PISA Centrale (15 minutes by train to Pisa and then another 20 to LUCCA). Buy and VALIDATE your train ticket BEFORE you get on the train. BOTH Lucca and Florence train stations are right opposite the centre of town. You could do both Pisa and Lucca in a long day.
We tried, unsuccessfully, to get to Cinque Terre. Sadly, the first train was cancelled and we were sent to the wrong platform and missed our other connection. Italian trains are ok for a short distance but not for a multi-change daytrip!
If you can't use either then take a taxi.
NOTE: If you are staying in port overnight you may want to go in to town twice one day and again the next morning. Thats 3 trips @ 20 euros each by ship transfer. 18 euros for a 36 hour pass.
Alternatively, walk to the train station (15 minutes) and buy a 12, 24 or 36 hour pass for ALL vaporettos. Use the No 1 to take a leisurely ride down the Grand Canal to St. Marks (stops at every stop) or the No 2 to get you there quicker. Be adventurous, get on and off and just wander. You can't get lost and the vaportettos run constantly in all directions. The Rialto bridge becomes clogged with people quickly, so do it early. The shops on the Rialto are excellent.
The girls at the information desk tried to tell me that this couldn't be done and that it was an hour to St. Marks by foot. Don't be fazed, you don't walk all the way! You will ALWAYS find a steady stream of adventurous people going off and doing it themselves.
Beautiful ship, pleasant crew,...
Disappointing would be an unde...
If this had been my first crui...
Legend of the Seas Never Again
12-night Repositioning from Qu...