Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by fbccopper: Freedom did not disappoint!

fbccopper
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Freedom did not disappoint!

Sail Date: June 2009

We  (Me, my wife and our three boys, ages 21, 19, & 13) drove down from NC on Saturday and stayed at the La Quinta in Plantation (about 10-12 minutes drive). The room and breakfast were GREAT!

Sunday morning we got up late and drove over to the port, arriving around 10:45. After parkinng in the on-site garage, we walked to the terminal, checked our luggage with the porters, and got in line.

There were several steps in the process - show ID & Fun Pass to get inside - show ID and credit card to receive S&S cards - wait in the lobby until ready to begin boarding - get picture taken - and, finally, board the ship.

From the time we checked our luggage with the porters until we were on the ship we had spent less than an hour, including about 10 minutes wait in the lobby for them to begin boarding. (We we VERY pleased with this process).

On board we went immediately to More the Lido deck and had some lunch (Mongolian Stir-Fry - WOW!) and then toured the ship.
Within about an hour, we were able to get into our cabins and within another hour our luggage had all arrived.

Sail away and muster drill went smoothly.

Dinners in the Posh dining room were great. We tried some things we hadn't eaten before and enjoyed most of it. The service was fine, although maybe not quite as good by our waiter as on previous cruises. (This was my 4th - everyone else's 3rd).

I had breakfast in the dining room and it was very nice - another way to meet new people. The rest of the family usually ate breakfast and lunch on the Lido deck and everything was great.

The shows - tributes to the Beatles and to New Orleans - were OUTSTANDING. Although this type of production is not my entertainment of choice, I thought both were just excellent. The comedian was very funny.

We didn't really catch much of the other on-board entertainment except for the group who sang at the Captain's Reception - they were very good.

Our weather was just great on 5 of 6 days. Even on the one rainy day, there was plenty on board to do.

We would sail the Freedom again without hesitation.

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Oceanview Riviera 1431

Our cabin - 1431 - was bigger than I expected and well laid out. We had three in our cabin and the two beds were converted to a king for my wife and I, while the sofa was made into a single for my son.

Grand Cayman was very nice - we did a tour through Nativeway of some of the hotspots around the island as well as swimming with the stingrays.

Key West was fine, although we'd been before and didn't spend too much time here except to make sure we ate some key lime pie at the Blonde Giraffe - WOW!!!

Read 734 Key West Reviews

Ocho Rios,Jamaica was also nice - although very dirty and depressing - we did the falls and went tubing down the White River. We had planned to eat lunch at Lobster Dave's based on a recommendation here at CC. Our guide was scheduled to drop us off there, but instead walked us down to the restaurant to "make sure we wanted to eat here". Whew! I'm so glad he did. It was scary and dirty and NOT a play I would recommend. So, we went to the Jerk Center instead and it was awesome. Trevor Hudlin was our guide and the five of us were his only clients that day - what a great treat! Trevor was a gentleman and very responsible. He took great pride in showing us around his country and also took great care for our personal security. I highly recommend Trevor Hudlin.